Threaded needle tin stuck

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
emerson
Victor III

Threaded needle tin stuck

Post by emerson »

Picked-up 2, C-C-C needle tins, one red (300 needles) and one black (400 needles) that the thread on the lids and containers were off set. Seems as though they were not lined up and then pressed on to close. They are in nice shape, so I don't want to mess up the paint or damage the metal by clamping anything on to hold to unscrew. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Threaded needle tin stuck

Post by Jerry B. »

Maybe some penetrating oil and heat with a hair dryer and twist off while wearing gloves.

Jerry B.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You can buy rubbery material that's sold to put on top of jars and soda bottles to give you a better grip when opening them. There's also shelf/drawer liner that you could cut up to accomplish the same thing. Here's an example from Dollar Tree:

https://www.dollartree.com/black-non-sl ... lls/205932

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Thanks to the 2 gentlemen's advice ----Success with one and when it unscrewed, I noticed the previous owner had put the black (400) needle lid on the base of the red (300) base. Now the problem child appears to of had the Red (300) needle lid pressed down on to the black (400) needle base, leaving one side of the tin down on the base of the threads while the other half is at the top of the threads----really off set and jammed. I used a penetrating oil and now am trying Murphey's oil soap also. Just letting it sit for some time and hopefully will get a positive result. The Forum is the place to find help, from those with the right knowledge. THANKS

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Mission accomplished. The second one , didn't want to play the game----so with a dental mirror where the little round mirror had broken off at the weld on the handle, leaving a sharp triangular piece of steel at the end. I was able to slide it under and all around the needle tin lid and gently applying a little pressure as I went around the thread---with the lubricating oil and the Murphy oil soap still lubricating it, it popped up and separated. AND inside, 33 fiber needles ---a nice little surprise. So now the correct lids and bases are as they should be. Thanks Again J and K ----Herb

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Nice to hear all is well and you got a bonus inside one.
I never ceases to amaze me how many people will react when faced with two objects that should fit together well but don't - rather than stopping and working out why (eg. putting two bases together rather than a lid and a base) will just use force. When did we loose the ability to stop and think before making a mistake. And when a mistake is made, not to take responsibility for it? (sorry, I'm going off-track now).

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

AudioFeline wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:26 am Nice to hear all is well and you got a bonus inside one.
I never ceases to amaze me how many people will react when faced with two objects that should fit together well but don't - rather than stopping and working out why (eg. putting two bases together rather than a lid and a base) will just use force. When did we loose the ability to stop and think before making a mistake. And when a mistake is made, not to take responsibility for it? (sorry, I'm going off-track now).
Would you mind posting pictures of the two needle tins?

Thanks
Andreas

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

I don't have a cell phone or camera to take pictures. I'll try to find someone to do me a favor and take pictures ---if and when, I'll get them posted. Thanks, for all the replies.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

I found this image on the interweb, I think it is what the OP has (or similar), at least the red tin...

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That is a very nice needle tin. Thanks for posting the picture.

Andreas