Removing the tone arm from the base on Columbia 112a

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Removing the tone arm from the base on Columbia 112a

Post by nostalgia »

I think, but only think, I have removed the tone arm on a different Columbia portable with a Plano reflex, but now I can't remember how to do it and photos are hard to find on the forum right now.
If it is not possible to do in a correct way, harder tools will have to be used to get it off, because I need this tone arm...
I remember a special tool was used by Columbia to create this tone arm system, but apart from it I am blank right now...
Attachments
juni 2022 007.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Removing the tone arm from the base on Columbia 112a

Post by Phono48 »

The black ring round the base of the arm (with the holes in it) has to be unscrewed. I've managed it in the past with a pair of long-nosed pointed pliers, opened out to their fullest extent. Good luck, but to be honest, I don't think the arm will fit the base you are hoping to fix it to.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Removing the tone arm from the base on Columbia 112a

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks, Barry. When waking up this morning I was thinking in that direction, but wanted to wait for confirmation. You are right, the base are different that was easy to see when looking closer, but the tone arm has the correct length, and the rest of it is perfectly angled. The hacksaw will be needed on both tone arms from the 112a and 156a to make a new tone arm for my 156. :roll: