Exhibition reproducer lettering removed

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Artiebressan
Victor Jr

Exhibition reproducer lettering removed

Post by Artiebressan »

When I had one of my exhibition reproducers rebuilt last year it came back with the lettering removed. I would like to paint the letters back on. Has anyone done this? Any pointers on what paint to use/not use? How to proceed?
Thanks

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Exhibition reproducer lettering removed

Post by Inigo »

I have also suffered this problem due to My imprudence in polishing the backplate too much. I painted in Black mate the backplate and I tried to draw the letters with tippex, they came out very irregular and so bad but it seems really old! :D I also need advice on how to draw letters in white properly :D over read to apply white paint on them, then very fast pass a cloth to remove the excess, but this didn't work with the tippex... I used that because it tends to an ivory white with time, so it would seem old in a few months... :D poor me :D

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I answered you in your other, identical posting....

You don't to start a new thread to bring your posting to the top. Just reply to your original thread.

Artiebressan
Victor Jr

Post by Artiebressan »

Thank you Inigo and jerry (I read your post on my other thread of this same question-thanks for the advice on that also).

Artiebressan
Victor Jr

Post by Artiebressan »

The fellow who rebuilt the exhibition reproducer and returned it with all the beautiful lettering removed also soaked the whole thing with that awful smelling rubber softener, which I couldn’t get out. Ugh. When I enquired about both these problems he was non-plused (aka: he didn’t care) and therefore I knew it would be unwise to let him touch my beautiful little exhibition or anything else I owned much less send it back to him. I believe (hope) he has retired now. He is a person who everybody who uses this site knows. Really bad tempered. Cranky as all get-out. Bummer. With my limited experience at the time (I at least have a little more now!) I couldn’t fix either of the problems so I gave it away to somebody who could, and who was very happy to get it for free. Live and learn.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

An alternative would be to print the lettering on a thin disc of paper, and paste it inside the backplate. Mica is semi-transparent so it shouldn't be too obvious that there is a printed card inside. Actually, many soundboxes never had engraved and painted letters originally, but just some printed paper instead.

Artiebressan
Victor Jr

Post by Artiebressan »

Really good to know! Thanks! I always learn something when I am here!