How to remove a frozen reproducer from a carriage?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Zenger
Victor I

How to remove a frozen reproducer from a carriage?

Post by Zenger »

Hi, everyone. I have been going through some old machines I've had in storage for many years and I found two Edison Home 2/4 machines with large-eye horizontal carriages. One has an O reproducer, the other a Diamond B. The O is frozen solid in its carriage -- no give whatsoever, though the stylus bar turns freely. I have heard that at least some O reproducers were made of pot metal, and it seems possible mine is one of them, and that over the decades it has swollen to the point where it's stuck in the carriage. How can I extricate it without damaging it? I should note it looks fine, with so visible cracks of damage to the throat. Thanks!

tomb
Victor IV

Re: How to remove a frozen reproducer from a carriage?

Post by tomb »

You could take the arm off and gently try tapping on the edge of the reproducer to get it out, as it is upside down. Also freezing it then heating the ring as you tap on it. Kroil oil may help. It is a great penetrating oil. Tom
+

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: How to remove a frozen reproducer from a carriage?

Post by pallophotophone »

If there is sufficient room, I'd first remove the wire link between the stylus bar and diaphragm and unscrew the limit pin from the weight. Then unscrew the hinge block from the reproducer body. Then if possible, unscrew the diaphragm retainer ring.
Never having been in this situation theses things might not be possible- Just a suggestion.