Columbia Reproducer Question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
SSBN 657
Victor O

Columbia Reproducer Question

Post by SSBN 657 »

The mica needed replacing. Got it down to the main body. Question is "is the inner black body a pressed fit" because it does not want to separate from the outer body. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Tim
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Columbia Reproducer Question

Post by Curt A »

I have never found a reason to further disassemble one of these - but looking at it the 3 screws need to be removed and the back will probably screw off. The two/three small holes are an indication that a special tool was used to twist it off. A simple tool could be made from a piece of wood with two/three brads spaced to match the holes... I can't be sure, but it looks like there is third hole on the right, in line with the third screw.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Columbia Reproducer Question

Post by JerryVan »

I think the 3 small holes on the back side are screw holes, with screws removed. The back plate has most likely become a press fit over time, due to pot metal growth and distortion. You can see some evidence of pot metal degradation on the front face of the back plate, with cracking around the throat hole. If you don't really have to disassemble it, I would tend to leave it alone.