Triumph D stuck mandrel

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Triumph D stuck mandrel

Post by mjbarnes »

Really frozen -- mandrel will not turn at all. Do I try to chip away parts of the pot-metal bearing?

Victor VI

Re: Triumph D stuck mandrel

Post by 52089 »

With a board search for "frozen bearing" or similar, you will find instructions on what to do and how. You could also search for "muriatic acid" as this is commonly used for this task.

New bearings are available from the usual suppliers, e.g. Brian Parlier.

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

Thanks. On my way to hardware to buy muriatic acid.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I had that issue with my Triumph E before I bought it from my friend Jerry Donnell.edisonplayer.

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

And how did you remove it?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

If you're not familiar with the parts / function of the 2/4 minute assembly for an Edison Home or Triumph model D through F then take some still pictures of the parts as they are currently attached to the mandrel shaft to refer to later on reinstallation.

Loosen all parts to the left of the mandrel that are attached to the mandrel shaft.

Get a small section of scrap wood (2x2 or whatever) and with a rubber mallet and the section of wood, tap the mandrel off the mandrel shaft. Place a soft cloth where the mandrel will drop so as not to injure the mandrel or have a friend ready to catch the mandrel.

Get your heaviest duty vise grips and wrap a cotton rag a few turns around the middle of shaft where the mandrel was and then lock that area TIGHTLY in the middle of the mandrel shaft with the vise grips (where any possible burring will not show when the mandrel is reinstalled).

Apply some oil in and around the mandrel shaft casting boss and then grab the vise grips and twist and turn and twist and turn the mandrel shaft while always pulling outward. The mandrel shaft will eventually loosen and be removed. Secure the loose parts that were attached to the mandrel shaft in a container.

Carefully chip out the old pot metal bushing from the casting boss however you desire. Just be sure to NOT damage the casting boss. The pot metal bushing is brittle and sometimes is tricky to remove but it will come out usually in pieces.

Get a new brass mandrel shaft bushing and reinstall everything just exactly as it was prior to the procedure. I've used this procedure on MANY Edison Home and Triumph models C through F in my own collection for many years without fail.

Doug

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

Thank you, Doug, and others who responded here and to my other questions in other posts. Before I pull off the mandrel I am going to keep dribbling muriatic acid through the lock screw hole and on the sides in hopes the pot metal bearing gives up. It is certainly chipping easily at the ends but I am afraid that inside the boss it will just remain tightly sandwiched.

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

Knocked off mandrel with mallet and block, worked off shaft with vice grips and a rag around the shaft. Success. First turn is needed just to find the lock screws. And the belt pulley acted as if it was still attached even without a screw. WD40 helped.

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

Brett Hurt's suggestion in a Youtube video was also very helpful about placing a hacksaw blade inside the hole and cutting a slot in the stuck bushing. Once the slot was complete the old bushing tapped out easily.
Attachments
IMG_0127.jpeg