General soundbox care and settling in info?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
HMV1931
Victor Jr

General soundbox care and settling in info?

Post by HMV1931 »

Hello all, I'm relatively new as far as collectors go. How exactly would you fit and care for a HMV 5A or B soundbox? Apparently when fitting you cant take the rubber tone arm amount away from the mazak backplate? What difference does this make and wouldn't the pressure required to slide and turn it all the way into place break the pot metal back if still attached to the rubber mount? I'm looking to put a replacement soundbox onto my 102 as the final step of resoring it but have no idea how to go about it in the 'proper' way if there is one. Any info greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
Tom

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: General soundbox care and settling in info?

Post by AZ* »

The rubber isolator has a brass ring on the inside with a bayonet fitting. Unless someone has glued it on, you should be able to twist gently anti-clockwise (when looking from the front of the soundbox)until it stops, then gently pull it off.

The picture below (from the Nipperhead site) is for a #2 soundbox, but the concept is the same.

I hope this helps.
Best regards ... AZ*

HMV1931
Victor Jr

Post by HMV1931 »

Thanks for the diagram and info :) I was just worried about pushing it on and twisting it on what with the backs on HMV 5As being fragile pot metal. I guess it should be ok if i make sure the end of the tone arm is very clean and polished to minimise resistance. Will give it a gentle go when I finally get hold of a decent 5A :)

Regards
Tom

michelrobert
Victor Jr

Post by michelrobert »

please give me information of general sound and give me info his care.