Appraisal

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
cleveland1996
Victor III

Appraisal

Post by cleveland1996 »

Hi Folks and thanks for the help. I live in the Pensacola, FL area and would like to get an appraisal of my collection for insurance, etc. How is the best way to get an appraisal? I am reluctant to call the antique dealers, as I truly feel as though they wouldn't have a true idea on the rare machines, however the more common stuff they should be okay on. How about insurance once an appraisal is obtained?? Homeowners or seperate policy (who from??))...Thanks a million!!! Joe

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Appraisal

Post by JohnM »

Most general line antiques dealers know jack-squat about phonographs or other specific fields in which they have no interest or experience, so having an antiques dealer appraise your collection is a bad idea. Having said that, a formal appraisal has legal ramifications should the appraisal ever be called to question in the event of the loss or sale of the item at too low or too high of a price. This is why real appraisers are licensed and insured, and insurance companies require appraisals from licensed appraisers. This is not to say that any appraiser is expert in the field of phonographs. Look up 'Appraisers' in the Yellow Pages and on the internet and talk with a few. Perhaps you can find an experienced local phonograph dealer who would be willing to consult with your appraiser to help set accurate replacement values for a valid appraisal signed by the appraiser. Your insurance agent should be able to add a 'rider' onto your home-owner's policy if provided with a valid appraisal document.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Appraisal

Post by Jerry B. »

Are you going to the Orlando sale in January? How many items do you need appraised? I'd suggest bringing photos of your items and ask around. Jerry B.