School gluestick alternative?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
osero1ww
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Never have I experienced happiness greater than fixing my gramophone by myself.

Re: School gluestick alternative?

Post by osero1ww »

AudioFeline wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:35 am I enjoyed the disk in the video!

I found beeswax in my hardware store in the section with the furniture polishes.

If you have used a lot of the gluestick you will probably find it shrinks in time and will become harder (the evaporation of the moisture). You will probably find that it can be removed by dissolving in water.

Going on a tangent, from using gluesticks as a paper adhesive (intended purpose), I've noticed great variation of quality. Cheap gluesticks are good for a short period (eg. a school project) but don't provide good adhesion in the longer term. I've found the Bostik brand the best quality. And when using it with paper, put it on both surfaces first.
Interesting, I never looked into furniture stores for beeswax, I'll pop my head into a number of them someday to see, although the previous post about PVA seems a more simple approach. I never really saw a difference over here with the quality of the gluesticks, probably because everything here is made cheaply in general. Good thing to know that the glue will dissolve in water. Thanks.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I struggle to understand why so many people seek improper materials in order to do this job improperly, while the correct material is so readily available and the job so easy to do.

Every decent colour shop over here sells beeswax. Bees live also in central Africa and use their wax for their living also over there, so I can hardly understand how local climate of Sapiens may be an issue at all.

Should bees wax in se be a problem, carnauba wax can be properly used instead (again any decent colour shop sells it) or also coloured wax sticks for furniture retouch can be used (once more any decent colour shop carries a vast assortment of them) with which even the backround colour of the soundbox, or of the gaskets, or of the cabinet can be matched.
Last edited by Marco Gilardetti on Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:12 am I struggle to understand why so many people seek improper materials in order to do this job improperly, while the correct material is so readily available and the job so easy to do.

Every decent colour shop over here sells beeswax. Bees live also in central Africa and use their wax for their living also over there, so I can hardly understand how local climate of Sapiens may be an issue at all.

Should bees wax in se be a problem, carnauba wax can be properly used instead (again any decent colour shop sells it) or also coloured was sticks for furniture retouch can be used (once more any decent colour shop carries a vast assortment of them) with which even the backround colour of the soundbox, or of the gaskets, or of the cabinet can be matched.
I agree completely! I also feel (admittedly in a completely unscientific way) that the little solidified pool of wax aids the mechanical connection between the needle bar and the diaphragm slightly, in a way that helps the transfer of sonic vibrations.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Je, je... Beeswax is not ready to find here neither... Or they sell products that include beeswax, but PURE beeswax...???
I've used candle wax (well, ok, it's paraffin or whatever wax like substance), the wax bars for wood repair, pva glue, and even the old red hard sealing wax. This last is too brittle, and tends to fall soon, maybe it doesn't resist well the vibrations...
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Inigo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:40 amthe wax bars for wood repair
That's absolutely appropriate, and as already introduced comes in a wide range of colours that would finely match even the most elegant soundbox! :rose:

osero1ww
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Never have I experienced happiness greater than fixing my gramophone by myself.

Post by osero1ww »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:12 am I struggle to understand why so many people seek improper materials in order to do this job improperly, while the correct material is so readily available and the job so easy to do.

Should bees wax in se be a problem, carnauba wax can be properly used instead (again any decent colour shop sells it) or also coloured wax sticks for furniture retouch can be used (once more any decent colour shop carries a vast assortment of them) with which even the backround colour of the soundbox, or of the gaskets, or of the cabinet can be matched.
I never knew where to find beeswax, as here a gramophone hobby is extremely weird and out of place. So i never really knew where to find it to begin with. Thanks to some helpful people here, I now know.

osero1ww
Victor Jr

Post by osero1ww »

Orchorsol wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:42 am

Should bees wax in se be a problem, carnauba wax can be properly used instead (again any decent colour shop sells it) or also coloured was sticks for furniture retouch can be used (once more any decent colour shop carries a vast assortment of them) with which even the backround colour of the soundbox, or of the gaskets, or of the cabinet can be matched.
I agree completely! I also feel (admittedly in a completely unscientific way) that the little solidified pool of wax aids the mechanical connection between the needle bar and the diaphragm slightly, in a way that helps the transfer of sonic vibrations.
Good to know, thanks.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Inigo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:40 am Je, je... Beeswax is not ready to find here neither... Or they sell products that include beeswax, but PURE beeswax...???
I've used candle wax (well, ok, it's paraffin or whatever wax like substance), the wax bars for wood repair, pva glue, and even the old red hard sealing wax. This last is too brittle, and tends to fall soon, maybe it doesn't resist well the vibrations...
The red sealing wax isn't was at all, it's shellac, that's why it's so hard and brittle.
When I worked in a furniture store, it was sold as stick shellac, and it is just that.
It was used to repair damaged furniture.