Improve tracking & reduce record wear on Victrola No.2

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
welshfield
Victor II

Re: Improve tracking & reduce record wear on Victrola No.2

Post by welshfield »

Perhaps some enterprising vendor could produce some goosenecks with a reduced bend angle and solve this problem the easy and more elegant way. Everyone could buy one of these altered goosenecks and replace the originals when needed but not permanently alter the historical accuracy of any machine.

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

I have thought further about my last suggestion about a reproduction gooseneck. It will be more than a matter of simply un-bending a stock gooseneck so as to present the soundbox at a reduced angle. This would cast the point of contact of the needle too far out on the record and probably be worse on the record than the original soundbox angle.

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

I personally am against altering the gooseneck for historical reasons since that is a more permanent part of the arm. The original flange gasket is usually replaced anyway considering they harden with age.

-Also a cast metal gooseneck with nickel or gold plating will be far more expensive than an angled flange gasket.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Anyone interested in delving deeper into the slightly involved subject of acurate tracking might like to refer back to the undermentioned thread :

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 11&t=15253

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

emgcr: Thanks for that link to the earlier discussion.

Although I referred to "unbending a gooseneck" I was intending to use this as a reference to the point I was trying to make. I do not propose and was not thinking of actually altering an antique gooseneck, although my comment could have been taken that way. Sorry.
I also was not proposing a casting of an altered gooseneck as that rough internal cast surface would not be at all desirable.
I believe bent tubing would work quite well, and possibly doable at home. I may give it a try since I am already familiar with antique car restoration, have a few tools for working with tubing, and perhaps could mix and match hobby interests.
John