Nipper Restoration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Nipper Restoration

Post by Jerry B. »

A friend asked for help with his ghost plastic Nipper and he gave me artistic license to do as I pleased. I realize that a restoration is to try to make an object look like it did when it left the factory. For the purist in the Forum, please stop reading now. Nipper does not look like he did when he was new. He looks better. I used "Nipper Restoration" in the title to make it easier to locate later.

If you are still reading, I started with a 36" plastic Nipper. For whatever reason, the original paint for the eyes, ears, etc. did not stick and he was a ghost Nipper. If you stare at these original dogs long enough, you can see paint fading or coming off. The plastic material is very nice and the dogs shape is very much like the late paper Nippers. Didn't they share a common mold? This is what I did to create a modified Nipper.

1- After I cleaned Nipper, I sprayed him with a MEM 38353 product which is a plastic prep which prepares plastic for painting. Only future years will determine if this paint job is more successful and durable than the original.

2- I painted Nipper with Rust-Oleum 2X paint & primer which "also bonds to plastic". I used "Satin Ivory Silk" for the color.

3- I painted the features with acrylic paint. I bought black, brown, and gold.

4- I wanted the entire dog to have the same sheen so I sprayed a coat of clear to get the desired effect. Because I used a variety of paints, I was very concerned about the clear coat lifting so I used a water base protective finish. I purchased Minwax water based Polycrylic. Some people might be tempted to skip this step but I think it's very important.

I am very pleased with the final results. I would suggest that anyone could take on a project like this and be successful. I spent about $40 on materials. Jerry Blais
Attachments
DSC02306.jpg
DSC02298.jpg
DSC02297.jpg
DSC02295.jpg
DSC02304.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Nipper Restoration

Post by alang »

Great Job Jerry. Nipper turned out great. This did not only require artistic license, but also a lot of artistic talent. Congratulations!

Andreas

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It looks very good. I gather, being plastic, this is a fairly modern reproduction. Yes?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think some of the plastic Nippers are authentic RCA authorized dogs and some were unauthorized or reproduction. Dogs like this were available from Ron H. at Union back in the 80's (best guess) for $100. Jerry Blais

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

You do have an artistic touch Jerry. Had I done it, even Nipper's mother would not likely recognize him.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Once you have had him checked over by a vet he should be good for the next 100 years ;) .

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Great job, Jerry!
Here's what my attempt would look like:
nipper.jpg
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo