Stuck Amberol Cylinder

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Stuck Amberol Cylinder

Post by Jerry B. »

Perhaps we need someone with good strong hands. Place both thumbs on the end of the mandrel and pull towards yourself with several fingers applying equal pressure on the opposite end of the cylinder. Long live Uncle Josh! ;)

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

PeterF wrote:Yeah, sure. And how do we know that plaster and weird early plastic expand at the same rate? We don’t.

No heat. No chemicals. Tap it.

(I can’t believe I’m expending so much effort on an uncle josh cylinder. But sacrifices must be made for the greater good, and it’s more fun than this work I’m supposed to be doing.)
Well, I beg your pardon and bow to your sarcastic insight on this...

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Sorry for being cranky. Was actually trying to inject a chuckle.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

PeterF wrote:Sorry for being cranky. Was actually trying to inject a chuckle.
OK, no problem. :)

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

And now it seems we might never hear back on whether josh was rescued, or died trying.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

did you get it off ? and if so how ?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's been over a week since this thread was started. The phono nerds have made several suggestions. Were any successful????" :roll:

Jerry Blais

ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Post by ODIE3 »

heck I want to know too! It's like a 1890's cliffhanger around this place.

I have a record that will not go on all the way and I thought I got it stuck on the mandrel forever. I was having a moment of "darn it I want to hear this record"! [explicit language Cleaned] So you must really have yours stuck...

[Offtopic] Im very sad I cannot play my #949 Band, "High School Cadets". Yes I was a high school marching band geek, so back off :p [/Offtopic]
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I can see that this dead horse has a penchant for being beaten, and so alas, it is my sad duty to inform you that Uncle Josh has gone to the Great Beyond, Valhalla, or wherever Chuckling Hillbillies go to perform their penance.

Josh was so swollen that the cylinder has split vertically along the left seam, and plaster was vomiting out like a pregnant Twinkie. I tried everything that I could think of and that you could think of. Uncle Josh wasn't going anywhere. I imagine that he had been living on the mandrel for a very long time, and to make matters worse, the machine is a 2-minute only Edison Suitcase model with an automatic reproducer. Yea, someone had been playing a blue Amberol cylinder on this early machine, probably over and over again, and God knows how many times they had listened to Uncle Josh speak even more slowly than was absolutely necessary, as the automatic reproducer screamed in pain.

And so I did it. I got out my utility knife and operated on Uncle Josh. Mission accomplished. In my defense I'll say that at least I didn't murder Enrico Caruso, or Sousa, or Annette Hanshaw. I sent Uncle Josh to the Great Chicken Coop in the Sky.

Sorry about that.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

:lol:
MikeB wrote:... and so alas, it is my sad duty to inform you that Uncle Josh has gone to the Great Beyond, Valhalla, or wherever Chuckling Hillbillies go to perform their penance.
:rose: RIP

James.