Questions on Columbia Analyzing sound quality.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
SteveM
Victor II

Re: Questions on Columbia Analyzing sound quality.

Post by SteveM »

Intrigued by this oddball aluminum diaphragm'd one as well ... it looks like a knockoff of an English Columbia No. 9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Douglus-No-20- ... 4097406222
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I have no experience with Douglus sound boxes, so I can't comment on sound quality, but it certainly appears to be of reasonable design and quality. Whether the holes in the back will line up with those in the Columbia I can't say either, but I guess there'd be no harm in drilling and tapping the back of this soundbox to fit if it doesn't.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

My thoughts exactly. Hmmmm. Time to negotiate a bit!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

So I got this "Douglas" reproducer (as seen above). It's a pot metal wonderland! There seems to be no way I'll ever get this brass back flange off. And I've inadvertently scraped off all the black paint with my screwdriver.
Attachments
IMG_2422.jpg

P. G. Wodehouse

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Good luck on the Douglus Reproducer. It seems like a take on the No. 9 Viva-Tonal. Actually I have one on the portable phonograph--but it's in great shape and I hate to mess it up trying to fit it to some old horn machine.

I wonder if those Burmese Colour Needles would work OK on the Analyzing Reproducer. From playing around with mine, the thing seems to require a needle that is (1) fairly large in diameter, and input to the diaphragm that is (2) not overly modulated.

Thorns would reduce blasting on loud passages or electrical jazz recordings, and the density of these Burmese Needles people talk about is probably a lot better than your average fiber needle. Orchorsol is making them, I think...

The last records I played on the BN were some 1920s jazz records, some loud German folk music, a couple waltzes, and the Poet & Peasant Overture on Columbia Grand Prize. A mix. Using the medium tone needles I got a nice sound with some discs.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Yes, the Burmese Colour Needles do work in the Analyzing. I have to use loud steel needles in it, but the medium thorns fit fine, They do produce a softer, mellower sound that tends to work well with the Analyzing, at least with some records. The thorns do wear rapidly and require resharpening in less than one side with some records but are a good solution for some. While they tend to be too muted for something like my Sonora Philharmonic, they do well on my BI.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I've been meaning to get some of those BCNs ... on it!

Yeah, this Douglus does indeed resemble a No. 9 Viva Tonal. I don't think it will ever be coming apart. Nice looking thing, though.

My analyzings are sounding better ... I've screwed in the needle bar screws quite snugly, then backed them out maybe a half turn. It's cut down on a lot of the blasting whereas I can sit in front of them now and not get headaches!

Still hunting for something I can monkey around with and stick on there, though. :monkey:

P. G. Wodehouse