Questions on Columbia Analyzing sound quality.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Questions on Columbia Analyzing sound quality.

Post by gramophone-georg »

SteveM wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:First- have either of you guys contacted Mica Monster about this?

If it were me what I see with these machines is lack of an isolator. I am thinking one could be created with a supple rubber or silicone O ring of the right size between the arm and the repro, plus three smaller rings under the heads of the fixing screws... just snug, maybe with a light coating of Vaseline to seal.

To me, this sounds like a compliance issue- there's more vibration than "give". Also, tighten your springs JUST enough so there's no rattle. I'm assuming you've replaced diaphragm gaskets- maybe a softer material is in order there.

Wyatt has popped in on some Analyzing threads ... I'm open to home remedies right now, but may send 'em off.
Forgot to add that if you go the rubber isolator route you *might* need slightly longer fixing screws.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

gramophone-georg wrote:
SteveM wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:First- have either of you guys contacted Mica Monster about this?

If it were me what I see with these machines is lack of an isolator. I am thinking one could be created with a supple rubber or silicone O ring of the right size between the arm and the repro, plus three smaller rings under the heads of the fixing screws... just snug, maybe with a light coating of Vaseline to seal.

To me, this sounds like a compliance issue- there's more vibration than "give". Also, tighten your springs JUST enough so there's no rattle. I'm assuming you've replaced diaphragm gaskets- maybe a softer material is in order there.

Wyatt has popped in on some Analyzing threads ... I'm open to home remedies right now, but may send 'em off.
Forgot to add that if you go the rubber isolator route you *might* need slightly longer fixing screws.
Ok, sweet. Thanks George. My three screws already have some rubber isolators there, but looks a bit taxed.

These beasts must be tamed!

edit: I'm ALSO gonna try the "Menophanes resonance-dampener" 8-)
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I have to do more testing, but just the addition of the Menophanes resonance dampener has REALLY calmed things down nicely. Acoustic, LATE electric. I can actually sit beside the horn and listen. It’s like night and day!
Attachments
BA69E7EB-6423-4F49-A098-E0EA2CF5A2E2.jpeg
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Very nice when something simple is a good workable solution! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Many years ago in pre internet days, I found a horn, back bracket and tone arm for one of these but the reproducer was missing.
Because I had no chance of finding a soundbox, or any other parts, I put a Thorens soundbox on it instead.
The one I used is quite common, has an aluminium body and best of all, the screw holes that attach the original back flange to the housing lined up perfectly, as did the hole between the tone arm and reproducer sound passages.
So neither the tone arm or soundbox had to be altered.

Below is a picture of the type of soundbox I used. This one is branded Rexonola, but I've seen many examples with other brands including Thorens, and others with no brand name at all.
Mine became a total Frankenphone which I eventually sold, but I used to play mostly electric recordings on it, including rock n roll, it it sounded quite good.

If you spot one of there soundbox es around for cheap, why not give it ago..
The original analysing soundbox can always be bagged and left in the cabinet so it can be put back on the machine in the future with no harm done to tone arm or sound box.

You'll probably find the aluminium Thorens is lighter than the original Columbia.
One thing I never checked back in the day was tracking. The needle still lined up with the turntable spindle, but never thought about needle to groove tracking back then. I guess this could probably be altered by using a wedge shaped ruuber gasket between the soundbox and tone arm flange?
Attachments
IMG_20200125_051104~2.jpg
IMG_20200125_051005.jpg

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Gramophoneshane, this is great, great information. Thank you so much for sharing! It makes a lot of sense to me that aftermarket sound boxes would be out there ... I’m sure there was some money to be made, with so many of these machines still kicking around in the 1920s.
What fun. The hunt begins!

P. G. Wodehouse

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

gramophoneshane wrote:Many years ago in pre internet days, I found a horn, back bracket and tone arm for one of these but the reproducer was missing.
Because I had no chance of finding a soundbox, or any other parts, I put a Thorens soundbox on it instead.
The one I used is quite common, has an aluminium body and best of all, the screw holes that attach the original back flange to the housing lined up perfectly, as did the hole between the tone arm and reproducer sound passages.
So neither the tone arm or soundbox had to be altered.

Below is a picture of the type of soundbox I used. This one is branded Rexonola, but I've seen many examples with other brands including Thorens, and others with no brand name at all.
Mine became a total Frankenphone which I eventually sold, but I used to play mostly electric recordings on it, including rock n roll, it it sounded quite good.

If you spot one of there soundbox es around for cheap, why not give it ago..
The original analysing soundbox can always be bagged and left in the cabinet so it can be put back on the machine in the future with no harm done to tone arm or sound box.

You'll probably find the aluminium Thorens is lighter than the original Columbia.
One thing I never checked back in the day was tracking. The needle still lined up with the turntable spindle, but never thought about needle to groove tracking back then. I guess this could probably be altered by using a wedge shaped ruuber gasket between the soundbox and tone arm flange?
Ok, I've been hunting around, haven't had much luck yet. This one, however, seems like it might screw onto my Analyzing's tonearm, right? The three screws seem like they would align. (After replacing that poor gasket, of course.)

[ebay]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Edison-Bel ... SwxrJeW0jJ[/ebay]
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

P. G. Wodehouse

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone-georg wrote: If it were me what I see with these machines is lack of an isolator. I am thinking one could be created with a supple rubber or silicone O ring of the right size between the arm and the repro, plus three smaller rings under the heads of the fixing screws... just snug, maybe with a light coating of Vaseline to seal.
Is the rubber disc between the arm and reproducer *not* an isolator? My BI sounded quite good when I rebuilt it; however, the gaskets are about 30 years old by now...

- Bill

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

SteveM wrote:
Ok, I've been hunting around, haven't had much luck yet. This one, however, seems like it might screw onto my Analyzing's tonearm, right? The three screws seem like they would align. (After replacing that poor gasket, of course.)

This soundbox appears to be a Thorens so should fit without alteration, but it looks like it may be pot metal and not aluminium.

The pot metal probably isn't any heavier than the original Analysing soundbox so should work, but if it were me I'd probably hang out for a lightweight aluminium Thorens.
Although the sound quality will more than likely the same from both types, a lighter soundbox should reduce record and needle wear, so should handle later records from the 40/50s a little better.

Perhaps if this one is cheap enough, it may be worth getting to see if the sound quality is more to your liking.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

gramophoneshane wrote:
SteveM wrote:

This soundbox appears to be a Thorens so should fit without alteration, but it looks like it may be pot metal and not aluminium.

The pot metal probably isn't any heavier than the original Analysing soundbox so should work, but if it were me I'd probably hang out for a lightweight aluminium Thorens.
Although the sound quality will more than likely the same from both types, a lighter soundbox should reduce record and needle wear, so should handle later records from the 40/50s a little better.

Perhaps if this one is cheap enough, it may be worth getting to see if the sound quality is more to your liking.
Yeah, I think I might give it a go for a bit of cheap fun. Thanks!

P. G. Wodehouse