Motor Spring Access etc -Advice Please

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
poodling around
Victor V

Motor Spring Access etc -Advice Please

Post by poodling around »

So, I am finally thinking about repairing a motor.

This motor winds a little (so can play about half a record) but 'slips' when wound beyond 'a little'.

These are my initial questions / thoughts which I would like advice with.

1. I assume that the way this motor is mal-functioning always indicates that there is a spring problem and nothing else could cause this ?

2. I assume that this is a double spring motor. One identical spring inside each canister ?

3. I assume one spring is still working as it winds a little bit ?

4. Is there any way to tell which spring isn't working without opening both to have a look ?

5. I have ringed a round metal 'bump' on the side of the spring canister. Is this where a 'hook' is attached to the inside of the canister which the spring hole latches on to ?

6. How do you open these kind of canisters ?

I have no experience of motor spring repair and thank you for any advice / guidance you can give.
Attachments
DSC07307.jpg
DSC07311.jpg
DSC07309.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Motor Spring Access etc -Advice Please

Post by Curt A »

Since this is a pillar and plate motor, you have to remove the screws from one side of the motor plates to disassemble it. The plate that you show in your picture looks like the "pillars" (round posts) are riveted on that side, so flip it over and see if there are screws holding the plate to the posts on the other side. If so, remove the screws and lift the plate to access the spring barrels. It would be a good idea to take pictures of each step in the removal of any parts so you know how they go back together. Since you are not familiar with motor repair, carefully study the assembly to see how it comes apart. Once you have removed the spring barrels post pictures of them to see how they come apart. Usually, the side with a gear attached is the part that comes apart - a spring barrel is like a can that is closed on one side and opens from the other side... If you get them removed and figure out how they open, don't remove the springs - they can be dangerous to remove and may unwind violently. Before opening or removing the spring barrels, make sure that they are completely run down with no tension left. Once opened you can observe whether one or the other spring is broken (usually several inches from the end) or maybe just unhooked from the hook inside the barrel... Good luck with your project... and be careful.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 10.18.31 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

All the advice is going to be awkward unless your motor is all the way unwound before you open it up to fix it!

poodling around
Victor V

Curt A wrote:Since this is a pillar and plate motor, you have to remove the screws from one side of the motor plates to disassemble it. The plate that you show in your picture looks like the "pillars" (round posts) are riveted on that side, so flip it over and see if there are screws holding the plate to the posts on the other side. If so, remove the screws and lift the plate to access the spring barrels. It would be a good idea to take pictures of each step in the removal of any parts so you know how they go back together. Since you are not familiar with motor repair, carefully study the assembly to see how it comes apart. Once you have removed the spring barrels post pictures of them to see how they come apart. Usually, the side with a gear attached is the part that comes apart - a spring barrel is like a can that is closed on one side and opens from the other side... If you get them removed and figure out how they open, don't remove the springs - they can be dangerous to remove and may unwind violently. Before opening or removing the spring barrels, make sure that they are completely run down with no tension left. Once opened you can observe whether one or the other spring is broken (usually several inches from the end) or maybe just unhooked from the hook inside the barrel... Good luck with your project... and be careful.

Thank you VERY much Curt A. Your advice is just what I am looking for. The plate etc is exactly as you suggested / thought.

Can I remove the plate and touch /look at / photograph the spring barrels without fear of the springs coming out / escaping at that stage ? (I know there is no guarantee, but generally speaking in your experience).

poodling around
Victor V

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:All the advice is going to be awkward unless your motor is all the way unwound before you open it up to fix it!
Thank you VanEpsFan. I appreciate this advice as it is something I need to know.

I know curt mentioned this too. Why exactly is this important ?

I thought I would just let the spindle turn until it stops before doing anything.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote:Can I remove the plate and touch /look at / photograph the spring barrels without fear of the springs coming out / escaping at that stage ? (I know there is no guarantee, but generally speaking in your experience).
Yes, you can. Everything is quite safe, even after you have removed the lids from the spring cases to inspect the springs. It only becomes dangerous when you start to remove the springs from the drums.

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote:
poodling around wrote:Can I remove the plate and touch /look at / photograph the spring barrels without fear of the springs coming out / escaping at that stage ? (I know there is no guarantee, but generally speaking in your experience).
Yes, you can. Everything is quite safe, even after you have removed the lids from the spring cases to inspect the springs. It only becomes dangerous when you start to remove the springs from the drums.
Brilliant ! Thank you Phono48.

I will

1. run down the motor (by letting the turntable spindle run),

2. remove the plate

3. photograph the spring drums

4. and then upload the photo's to ask how the lids are removed soon.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

poodling around wrote:So, I am finally thinking about repairing a motor.

This motor winds a little (so can play about half a record) but 'slips' when wound beyond 'a little'.

These are my initial questions / thoughts which I would like advice with.

1. I assume that the way this motor is mal-functioning always indicates that there is a spring problem and nothing else could cause this ?

2. I assume that this is a double spring motor. One identical spring inside each canister ?

3. I assume one spring is still working as it winds a little bit ?

4. Is there any way to tell which spring isn't working without opening both to have a look ?

5. I have ringed a round metal 'bump' on the side of the spring canister. Is this where a 'hook' is attached to the inside of the canister which the spring hole latches on to ?

6. How do you open these kind of canisters ?

I have no experience of motor spring repair and thank you for any advice / guidance you can give.
It almost certainly has a broken spring ,

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

you should do it yourself it isn't difficult and the first spring replacement is the worst in terms of fear ! once the fear is overcome you can repair any motor / spring

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

poodling around wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:All the advice is going to be awkward unless your motor is all the way unwound before you open it up to fix it!
Thank you VanEpsFan. I appreciate this advice as it is something I need to know.

I know curt mentioned this too. Why exactly is this important ?

I thought I would just let the spindle turn until it stops before doing anything.
That works--If you spin it a few more times by hand that is OK and can get that last residual 'jump' out of there. This should help. I took apart my big Victrola XIV one time and pulled the governor out while it was wound up; sticking my hand in the gears to stop it was not one of the most pleasant experiences in phonographs. So that's why; the jump can be hard on gears.

You have probably got this! You've been collecting for so long there's probably nothing you can't fix; just go ahead & surprise yourself.

Charles