Amberola Cylinder Storage - Pegs, Sleeves?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Frank W
Victor Jr

Amberola Cylinder Storage - Pegs, Sleeves?

Post by Frank W »

To all and then some...

My Amberlola 30 is ready. Cylinders are in a box. I have a cabinet and will fabricate a drawer to neatly store the cylinders but...

I have done some searches here and I like the work that Victor IV has done. I am a bit puzzled about the difference between pegs and sleeves. Some of my cylinders have sleeves (no all) that they are in. If you make pegs, do you do away with the sleeves? It seems that you would have to cut the bottoms out of the sleeves if you were going to but the cylinders on pegs.

Please explain remembering that this is my first Edison machine.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Amberola Cylinder Storage - Pegs, Sleeves?

Post by JerryVan »

What you call "sleeves" are the cartons. You have stumbled onto the age-old conundrum, what do you do with the cartons???? Some cabinets had clips in the bottom of the drawers that would "grab" the cartons. Other cabinets simply had no pegs at all, so cartons were not an issue. No harm in having a drawer with no pegs.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Blue Amberols, and other celluloid cylinders, are best stored in closed boxes, unlike wax cylinders. Hence the drawers in the floor model Amberolas used the clips.

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I only have about 200 Blue Amberols. All are in their original boxes, some with lids, and are stored in a chest of drawers.

We very rarely see purpose built cylinder storage cabinets in the UK, and the ones with pegs are a pet hate of mine, because as soon as the original owners put their cylinders on the pegs what did they do with the boxes? They threw them away!

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

... and so, if I am building a cabinet and I have blue Amberola cylinders, I should keep them in the boxes I have, find or purchase replacements and lids needed, and design storage to hold them in their boxes.

Boxes, lids and labels...hmmm. I will be shopping.