How to get Columbia 161 portable out of its case?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Re: How to get Columbia 161 portable out of its case?

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

Here are the pictures of the motor frame pieces. I would say that this is not a Garrard motor, unless they had an American arm of the company that made them here.
Attachments
IMG_26631.jpg
IMG_26621.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

That's a Heinemann "Flyer" motor, same as is fitted to my American Columbia 163 portable.

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

Are replacement parts readily available? Also, is this a good quality motor?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

F_R_Parker1 wrote:Are replacement parts readily available? Also, is this a good quality motor?
I read a review of the 163 some time ago, and it said that the "Flyer"motor was underpowered, but I find no fault with mine, it plays one and a half 12" records with a single winding, no trouble. As for the availability of spares, I can't advise on that, as American machines are rare as hen's teeth over this side of the pond, but as Columbia machines seem to be plentiful in the USA, I would think one of the well-known suppliers of spares over there will be able to help.

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

Are these suppliers listed in the "suppliers" section of the forum?

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

While we're at it, something does not seem right with the spring circled in red. Should it connect to something else to stop the winding gear from traversing freely (if that makes sense)?
Attachments
IMG_15111.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Indeed it looks very crude. Original no-return coils are wounded up much tighter than that, and they are also attached to the motor cast with nice angles in specific points. The hook on the right might be OK but the way in which the top end of the coil is locked against the cast of the motor is definitely too ugly to be an original part.

For some reason finding pictures of these motors seems exceptionally hard. However, I've found a picture of a unit (which may or may not be similar to yours, I'm unsure) from which it seems that your motor may be missing an entire gear of parts that operated this task. It also seems that the shaft of your unit still bears the signs of where these parts operated. But of course this is just educated guessing.
Attachments
S4021623.JPG

F_R_Parker1
Victor Jr

Post by F_R_Parker1 »

Other than the fact that it is a two spring motor, yes it is rather similar. As for missing gears, everything appeared to be in the proper position when I opened it for the first time. The gears are not visible from this side of the motor. As for the broken arbor rivet, it is a standard ¼ inch in diameter shaft, so I should just be able to order a new one, pull the old rivet out with my vice and pliers, and tap the new one in with a ball peen hammer. Now while I understand how these "no return" springs work in principle, I don't understand how it would work on this machine. What would it anchor itself to, a screw of sorts? And is it possible to simply wind a new one using the same type of wire without any special machinery? All I am really privy to is a car garage, and no special tools at that.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"And is it possible to simply wind a new one using the same type of wire without any special machinery?"

THAT answer is NO, you can't wind your own without special equipment. Those springs are tempered and can't be bent... However, spring winders are available, just too pricey to justify making your own.
https://www.advancecarmover.com/complet ... utfit.aspx
https://www.flexbar.com/products/univer ... ing-winder

As a practical matter, it would be better and cheaper to locate a replacement spring or even an entire motor...

George Vollema of Great Lakes Antique Phonographs is a good choice for finding parts - http://www.victroladoctor.com
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 4.59.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 4.54.15 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My brother (an accomplished amateur blacksmith & inventor) has wound the springs to homemade steel traps, on the coil spring pattern. A mandrel and a vise and some music wire is what it takes. In this case I think it would be better to find a spare spring mechanism.

Good luck. This is a tough restoration so far but hopefully it will go well.