Tracking Alignment Adaptor for the Exhibition Soundbox

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
audioengr
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Roaring 20's

Re: Tracking Alignment Adaptor for the Exhibition Soundbox

Post by audioengr »

emgcr wrote:The man who originally worked out optimal tracking in the nineteen-twenties was Percy Wilson. His findings, together with those of his co-author G W Webb, are incorporated into their definitive 1929 publication "Modern gramophones and electrical reproducers". We are extremely fortunate that this extremely valuable knowledge can now be viewed at nil cost on the internet. Page 121 initiates the discussion of tone-arms from the three viewpoints---geometrical, acoustical and mechanical :

https://archive.org/details/ModernGramo ... /page/n141
This analysis assumes that the arc of the needle goes through the turntable spindle. This is not necessary. If it ends below the spindle, one can get zero offset across the entire record.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

audioengr wrote:If it ends below the spindle, one can get zero offset across the entire record.
Both the offset angle and the linear offset are constants of the geometry of a tonearm. Whichever tonearm can be built with zero offset angle and zero linear offset, completely disregarding its position in relation to the spindle. Also, being geometric constants of the tonearm, in any case they never vary across the record.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

audioengr wrote:
emgcr wrote:The man who originally worked out optimal tracking in the nineteen-twenties was Percy Wilson. His findings, together with those of his co-author G W Webb, are incorporated into their definitive 1929 publication "Modern gramophones and electrical reproducers". We are extremely fortunate that this extremely valuable knowledge can now be viewed at nil cost on the internet. Page 121 initiates the discussion of tone-arms from the three viewpoints---geometrical, acoustical and mechanical :

This analysis assumes that the arc of the needle goes through the turntable spindle. This is not necessary. If it ends below the spindle, one can get zero offset across the entire record.
Table 1 on page 128 shows the length by which the needle point must exceed the spindle centre ie the necessary "overlap" of the needle point in relation to the spindle centre to achieve minimum (and only sometimes zero) tracking error. Wilson advised EMG on their publication of "The book of the fibre needle" where he helpfully complied two schedules---"Table of best overlaps"---as shown in a previous thread in December 2013 here on the TMF :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15253&hilit=questi ... nior+motor

audioengr
Victor Jr

Post by audioengr »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:
audioengr wrote:If it ends below the spindle, one can get zero offset across the entire record.
Both the offset angle and the linear offset are constants of the geometry of a tonearm. Whichever tonearm can be built with zero offset angle and zero linear offset, completely disregarding its position in relation to the spindle. Also, being geometric constants of the tonearm, in any case they never vary across the record.
I don't understand the relevance. I am talking about the arc of the tone arm not passing through the spindle.

audioengr
Victor Jr

Post by audioengr »

emgcr wrote:
audioengr wrote:

Table 1 on page 128 shows the length by which the needle point must exceed the spindle centre ie the necessary "overlap" of the needle point in relation to the spindle centre to achieve minimum (and only sometimes zero) tracking error. Wilson advised EMG on their publication of "The book of the fibre needle" where he helpfully complied two schedules---"Table of best overlaps"---as shown in a previous thread in December 2013 here on the TMF :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15253&hilit=questi ... nior+motor
Got it. I understand that table now. Thanks.

BTW, now that I have the bustle installed, my original Exhibition reproducer sounds amazing. Still fine-tuning my Victor 4A.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

audioengr wrote:I don't understand the relevance. I am talking about the arc of the tone arm not passing through the spindle.
The relevance is that what you have written in the post that I have quoted is wrong.

Wether the arc is passing through the spindle or not, it is absolutely irrelevant. As already written (please don't have me go through it a third time) the offset angle and the linear offset are geometrical constants of the tonearm design by definition, and they will never change, wherever the tonearm is placed and whichever its arc across the record will be.

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

great work