Loose Columbia fiber gear

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jboger
Victor IV

Loose Columbia fiber gear

Post by jboger »

I'd like to glue a Columbia fiber gear in place as it is loose enough to rotate freely. I could use epoxy, but that would be permanent. I'd rather use something reversible. Does any one have any suggestions?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Loose Columbia fiber gear

Post by JerryVan »

jboger wrote:I'd like to glue a Columbia fiber gear in place as it is loose enough to rotate freely. I could use epoxy, but that would be permanent. I'd rather use something reversible. Does any one have any suggestions?
Don't you want it to be permanent?

Besides, it's not as permanent as your think. Heat will will melt the epoxy away. Yes, it will also destroy the fiber gear, but you'd only want to remove it if the gear were no good anyway.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Jerry, if there's a choice, then no. I always prefer the option to undo what I've done. But your comment has triggered a memory. I once used a paint remover that also dissolved an epoxy that someone had used long before I had the item. It took a while, but it did it. But if no one has a suggestion, I will try water-soluble white glue first and hold off on the epoxy. I know nothing about gorilla glue and other products on the market. I will also try hide glue.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

On degreased surfaces, burnt shellac gets very sticky and might give enough. You don't want it to cut loose, though--a "run" on the governor could tear up some of the mainspring gears.

Would replacing it with a new gear from Mr. Sitko or Vollema work?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Shellac is an excellent idea. I have some shellac flakes that I can dissolve in a small amount of ethanol, which I could then use as a cement.

Ron supplies excellent replacements gears, but this is for an early two-spring motor from a front-mount AH. A new one from Ron might work, but then again it might not. I like the idea of shellac and shall try that.

Thanks.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

One thing I did re-gluing the stylus bar onto a 1904 Edison recorder was to "stick" it on there with a dot of brown shellac and then set that on fire. I blew out the flame a second later. It cooked out the solvent, making it most prodigiously sticky, and it seemed to work nicely enough.

A front-mount AH can be a nice little machine! It's valuable enough for a new gear. Hopefully Mr. Sitko has them fresh if shellac doesn't work.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've used a modern fibre gear replacement with good results. What are the risks of gluing an old gear and having a sudden failure? Jerry B.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

What kind of a Columbia AH do you have? There are about 3 or 4 types of motors. If this is the very early one with the off center crank, the fiber gear will be very hard to find. I don't know of any reproductions. If this is the more common motor with the horizontal governor and center crank, then a Sitko replacement will be perfect for what you want. Once I get further information of the motor, I can tell you how to do the repair. If you can show a picture, that will make it easy.
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Just want to attach this fiber gear to the beveled wheel. I don't mind to save $25 for a new gear. I bought one from Ron before. Ron sells a great product. The fiber gear you see in the picture is a replacement; it works. I just need to attach it so it is structurally strong. Harvey, if you have a suggestion, something you've done before that's reversible, I'm all ears. If not, I can try shellac, epoxy, or even break down and buy a new fiber gear. I do worry that a new fiber gear might not work on this particular beveled gear. I have reasons to think that, but that's a different matter.
Attachments
DSCF2577.jpg
DSCF2577.jpg (146.46 KiB) Viewed 2229 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I have three types of front-mount AH's: (1) the earliest with an off-center crank hole; (2) the second type with a centrally-place crank; and now a third one (3) with the more common motor that one sees on many early Columbia client machines as well as Columbia-labelled machines. This one has a two-spring motor. I just got it over the weekend at an auction that was clearing out a house. It came with an early reproducer, the one with the screw that tightens down on the needle. I have two of these now; this is the much better one.