Locked Lid on Victrola VV-XI key won't work

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Ve3ian
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restorer

Locked Lid on Victrola VV-XI key won't work

Post by Ve3ian »

I got a key from Ebay for my xi, nice key looked correct. So I put it in the lock and it fit and turned nicely to lock with zero issues. Then I tried to unlock, the key wont' turn past the bottom (6 o'clock position) counter-clockwise. It won't turn 360 degrees either in the lock or clockwise position. I painted the key, used a file to remove or notch the location where it was striking and behold the key turned counter clockwise and broke a tooth off the key. Now the key turns all the way around in both directions and the lock is still locked. I have use WD40 on it, no springs are broken and it is not packed with crap, original lock in orginal condition, I was told by the owner it was never locked and they can't find the key.

Now what??? I can grind the tab off and get a new lock set, but, must be a key that fits or must be able to pick it. Does anyone have a diagram or pictures :shock: :shock: of the lock and/or the various keys for this unit? If I can see the lock I might be able to pick it.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Locked Lid on Victrola VV-XI key won't work

Post by Henry »

Well, here's what I can tell you about my XI with original key: to lock, insert key with "V" in vertical position (let's call that "12:00 o'clock"), then turn key counter-clockwise 180º to the 6:00 o'clock position, whereupon the locking tabs are fully engaged in the striker (i.e., lid is now locked). It is not necessary to turn the key any further (although it will turn further). To unlock, simply reverse the above (turn key clockwise 180º back to 12:00). That's all there is to it. Now, when I first tried to lock my XI (lo, these many years ago), I discovered that the previous owner had somehow broken off a key and the broken piece was still in the lock, so the key that came with the machine would not go fully into the keyhole. I was able to remove the key fragment by removing the lock and shaking and teasing it out, after which the lock operated properly and still does almost 40 years later.

Reading your post, I'm not sure whether the lid of your XI is closed and locked, or whether it's just the lock that is jammed (lid open, lock exposed). If the former, you'll have a deal of trouble getting at the locking tabs (or "ears," as I call them), as they are inaccessible when the lid is closed and locked. If the lock is jammed but accessible (lid open), just remove the lock mechanism (two screws) and fiddle around with it until the broken piece comes out. Or do I misunderstand your predicament?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

See the Victrola V keys on this webpage:

https://oldcrank.com/articles/keys/keys.html

I have keys for many of my machines, but I never, ever, lock them. I've seen too many Victrolas that have been attacked with pry bars because of a seized lock or missing key. Even though the locks on all mine seem to function OK (with the lid up), I do not risk locking them.
Best regards ... AZ*

Ve3ian
Victor Jr

Post by Ve3ian »

The lid is closed and locked. I cut the key with file rot get it too turn I can feel a click bu nothing. I have pushed down on lid. I am thinking I have the wrong key or. But where can I get some reproduction keys to try. I have a nice restored one and don’t want to damage lid. I might be able to cut tab with drummer tools. I am llookimg for advise.

Ve3ian
Victor Jr

Post by Ve3ian »

:D I got the lid open. How. I had the wife turn the key and jiggle it a lot. I rocked the lid size to side and the lid popped open Never to be locked again.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Good show! Now remove the lock, extract the broken fragments, obtain a proper key, and you're good to go. No need to avoid locking the lid now, although given your difficulties, I can understand your reluctance.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Why lock it anyway? Who are you keeping out?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Well, as a grandfather of six---need I say more?

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Locking it won't keep them out.

Just look at the famous old Edison add
to see what they do.

They'll just use a hatchet. :)
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Maybe there were more dishonest people in those days. It seems that there was a lock on every drawer and door on every piece of furniture.