Good Color For Edison Cylinder Cabinets

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Good Color For Edison Cylinder Cabinets

Post by Jerry B. »

The Edison Fireside is a recent project. When purchased it had a early reproduction Edison script decal. You can tell the early replacements because the dot over the i in Edison has a rounded top to the dot. It had to go. Also the cabinet had a polyurethane finish. The polyurethane was strike two and three so the little Fireside got a refinish. While stripping the polyurethane I had a religious moment. I'm pretty sure purgatory for a phono nerd is an endless line of cabinets with polyurethane finishes that need to be stripped before you earn your eternal reward! :shock: I used Constantine "Walnut" stain on the Fireside and am really pleased with the results.

The photos show the front and back of two Edisons. The Standard has its original finish and the Fireside has Constantine walnut with a finish coat of Deft lacquer. It's almost best to look at the back side photo because your eye is drawn to the new decal on the Fireside on the photo showing the fronts.

Happy refinishing, Jerry B. :)
Attachments
IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Good Color For Edison Cylinder Cabinets

Post by Roaring20s »

That is a spot on color. Great job!

James.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Both are really pretty--I love the original Standard and the little Fireside looks quite close to its color and sheen.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Nice job Jerry. This Fireside came out really nice. Looks like you have it down to a science now..

Jerry,

Curious, After Stripping, What's your basic order of procedure for refinishing the outside cabinets?? Coats of Contantine, Sanding, Polishing, etc.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

1 - I apply stripper with a cheap paint brush and work it with a medium course steel wool. When I think I've removed all the old finish I go over with 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol.

2 - I fill the grain with Brehlen water based grain filler. I have Brown but wish it were darker.

3 - Stain with Constantine stain.

4 - I use Deft satin as a finish coat. I spray several coats, apply the decal, and apply several more coats to hide the edge of the decal. I gently rub down with 0000 steel wool.

5 - The final step is a little Howard Feed & Wax.

I am generally reluctant to use sand paper. After stripping any cabinet will retain a fair amount of its original color and that's good. It's just too easy to sand the high spots and you'll remove some of that color resulting in a blotchy finish.

Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Excellent work, Jerry!

I agree that sandpaper and old wood finishes don't work well together. The proof is in the results, and yours are pretty convincing.

George P.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Looks very nice. I'm assuming that Deft is not a polyurethane finish - what type of finish is it? The Deft brand isn't around where I live.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks very nice. I'm assuming that Deft is not a polyurethane finish - what type of finish is it? The Deft brand isn't around where I live.
Deft is a product name and it's a lacquer that comes in satin, semi-gloss, and gloss. I like the final results of lacquer and I've been using this product and method for many years. It looks good and is nice to the touch. But is isn't an authentic finish for an early Edison. Many restorers use a much more accurate shellac finish with excellent results. You might want to do a little research to decide for yourself.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I use Behlin Solar Lux dye stain in VanDyke Brown. Looks exactly the same color and shade as yours. A very nice color for Edison, and other, oak finishes. Great job!

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

Jerry B. wrote:
Deft is a product name and it's a lacquer that comes in satin, semi-gloss, and gloss. I like the final results of lacquer and I've been using this product and method for many years. It looks good and is nice to the touch. But is isn't an authentic finish for an early Edison. Many restorers use a much more accurate shellac finish with excellent results. You might want to do a little research to decide for yourself.

Jerry B.
Thanks Jerry, I will do some research. It's always good to get recommendations for better products and techniques.