Aniline Dye/Shellac on Horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
RSStone
Victor O

Re: Aniline Dye/Shellac on Horn

Post by RSStone »

Curt A wrote:
RSStone wrote:
Curt A wrote:I love those horns... I knew the DupliColor would work well...
I did my first red about a year and a half ago and found the Dupli-Color, then did 2 blue's, am lucky enough to have an artist to hand-paint the flowers and am about to do a blue with roses, can't wait to see it when she's done!
blue finished.mp4
WOW... I Haven't seen that great of a re-paint job since the Smith's were doing it years ago... Post pics of the rose horn when it's finished...

What did you use to do the gold striping? Is it freehand or taped, or what? It looks great...
I use a wide tipped gold felt pen and just free hand down the ribs and along the edges, took me a few mishaps and clean ups but once I decided to just relax and go, as well as where to put my fingertips to hold the line, the striping is actually the easiest part. And to me it just finishes a horn out and makes it the centerpiece on any machine...

Chapman1883
Victor Jr

Post by Chapman1883 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. And RSStone, the repainted horns look great. Since I had the shellac and dye already, I decided to give it another go. I ended up using a Preval sprayer, with the dyed shellac thinned to about a 1.5-lb cut. After lots of trial and error I was able to get a really nice finish. I'm going to pinstripe it and then have a family member (professional artist) add some flowers.
Attachments
20200214_140900.jpg

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Chapman1883 wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. And RSStone, the repainted horns look great. Since I had the shellac and dye already, I decided to give it another go. I ended up using a Preval sprayer, with the dyed shellac thinned to about a 1.5-lb cut. After lots of trial and error I was able to get a really nice finish. I'm going to pinstripe it and then have a family member (professional artist) add some flowers.
Absolutely beautiful work! Hope to see another picture when the striping is done, thanks for sharing :D

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That turned out great...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Personally, I think it looks wonderful as is, without pinstripes or flowers.