Protection For Your Home & Phonographs

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Raphael
Victor IV

Protection For Your Home & Phonographs

Post by Raphael »

Every once in a while a product comes along that makes you wonder why you didn't invent it yourself. In fact, I did, sort of, until I excitedly told my son about my "invention" and he is still laughing, because in a few short minutes he found that it was already on the market (and patented). So much for dreams of eternal riches.

One of my biggest fears is water damage. I've heard too many horror stories over the years about burst water heaters, pipes, etc. In the past I've always turned off my main water supply when away from home for more than a day. But sometimes, even when you're home, the damage can be extensive. We once had a faulty washing machine that discharged 2" of water throughout the ground floor of our house before we even noticed.

This product is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and can be placed behind toilets, under sinks, etc. Upon detecting the slightest bit of moisture, it will sound an audible alarm, send you a text message, and email you. All within seconds. A package of 5 of these costs around $50. I think it's one of the smartest home-protection devices around.

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Detectors- ... 07QSFRSJX/

I know, I know, what's this got to do with phonographs? Think about the ones you may have sitting on the floor of a closet, or on display, conveniently below an upstairs bathroom. Get my point?

Raphael

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Protection For Your Home & Phonographs

Post by Phono-Phan »

Great advice. I fell victim to water damage here twice. Once with several dozen bankers boxes with records and another with my walnut VV-XVII.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32857&hilit=WATER+DAMAGE

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Living here on an island, at about 15 ft above sea level, water damage of a more permanent kind will be an issue before much more time passes. We recently passed a municipal bond to begin creating protective dikes, but honestly I hope to kick the bucket before they are truly needed. Seeing that tragedy unfold is going to be unbearable.

By that time, most of Florida will also have disappeared beneath the waves, which ain't all bad. The tough part is knowing just the right sweet spot to maximize appreciation before selling out and moving.

Those water alarms are useful. Now if only there were earthquake-predictive alarms. I'd probably need one with a 24-hour lead time.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

PeterF wrote: By that time, most of Florida will also have disappeared beneath the waves, which ain't all bad.
I tried to make a simple post about something that could be of benefit to other folks on the Forum. It's unfortunate that you had to take the opportunity to make another of your personal barbs obliquely directed my way.

Every time you do that, Peter, I make it a point to tell more people about how you misrepresented an item that I was seeking on the Yankee Trader and refused to refund me when it wouldn't fit my machine.

The Forum becomes less of a constructive venue when people like you never know when to keep their mouth shut.

Raphael

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Good ole Raffy. Silly, silly Raffy. Just having a little fun here. Guess I ruminated a bit too far afield.

And it’s even sillier that you choose to dredge up your old grudge, where you tried to screw me on a deal - and when unsuccessful, have been trying to smear me in public and private ever since. I’d have reminded you of this via PM but it’s blocked so I’m forced to air your dirty laundry here, to defend myself.

Can’t count how many times I’ve had to tell the sad story in private though. This is to maybe head off another round of PM’d questions, now that it’s been brought up again. Nothing to see here. Sorry I said anything.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

For the uninitiated, Peter responded by direct email to my Yankee Trader request for a Sonora wooden tone arm. He said he had one that came from an Invincible or Grand. Charged me $350 and when it turned out to be from a much later console model, and didn't fit at all, sent me an email saying "you're a dealer, you should have known better". He refused to refund my money.

Facts are stubborn things - I have the emails to back up my statements.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11690&p=68097&hilit ... arm#p68097

I can live with all of this, having taken a $350 spanking, but it seems Peter channels his energies into butting into many of my posts with snide remarks. Get a life, Peter, or a personality transplant.

Raphael

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Sorry to subject you to this, folks.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Thanks for the info Raphael. So far no phono related floods but most of my machines are now in the basement. I was so nervous about it that I recently bought a similar item from SimpliSafe - hopefully the water alarm never goes off.

This is an important and cheap insurance policy.