Oil Bath Motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Daithi
Victor II

Re: Oil Bath Motor

Post by Daithi »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:One idea @Daihti if you are using a Tupperware or other plastic enclosure, is that not all plastics are stable long-term with oil.
Good point, I'll have to watch for that. Especially if the oil has a solvent in it. Thanks.

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

Here's a post about United Motors, with some pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40475

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Detrbear wrote:Here's a post about United Motors, with some pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40475
Thats an amazing contraption. They went to a lot of trouble in manufacturing for those oil baths.

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

I love how modular the springs were designed... looks like they could easily change the bolts and make a 2 spring into a 4 spring motor in just a few minutes.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Detrbear wrote:I love how modular the springs were designed... looks like they could easily change the bolts and make a 2 spring into a 4 spring motor in just a few minutes.
Yeah, I noticed that and it makes so much sense. Gerrard spring barrels are also bolted together like that and it makes them much easier to work with but the number of barrels is fixed. Making it so that an extra barrel or two can be added to the assemblage is genious.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The Edison Amberola phonographs from the 30/50/75 series work like that as well. You can take a bedplate from a 30, drop an extra barrel in it, and it will run on double springs. I heard you can't put it back in the same old cabinet as the horn will interfere and need to be bent.

Wouldn't recommend modifying an Amberola; they're really the ultimate small phonograph as they are, but it's a neat trick that you can do if you have some old pieces from the scrap pile.

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The Edison Amberola phonographs from the 30/50/75 series work like that as well. You can take a bedplate from a 30, drop an extra barrel in it, and it will run on double springs. I heard you can't put it back in the same old cabinet as the horn will interfere and need to be bent.

Wouldn't recommend modifying an Amberola; they're really the ultimate small phonograph as they are, but it's a neat trick that you can do if you have some old pieces from the scrap pile.

I tried putting double spring barrels in my 30 and there was not enough room. The Edison diamond disc machines are modular too and can either have one or two main springs. I upgraded my edisonic schubert and added a spring. It's nice having the double spring motor because I play that machine daily.

Stephen

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Stephen_Heatherly wrote: I tried putting double spring barrels in my 30 and there was not enough room. The Edison diamond disc machines are modular too and can either have one or two main springs. I upgraded my edisonic schubert and added a spring. It's nice having the double spring motor because I play that machine daily.
Stephen

I have both double and quadruple spring motors and my preference is for the double spring motor cause you could die of old age winding the 4 springs, it takes so long.