Tuning Garrard 11A / 11B motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Daithi
Victor II

Tuning Garrard 11A / 11B motor

Post by Daithi »

How do I put the quieteners on a Garrard?
I have read online about how to set them up for noiseless running and its basically summarised by the instruction to "keep messing with it until it shuts up".
There must be a better way....

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Tuning Garrard 11A / 11B motor

Post by gramophoneshane »

I don't think there's a mechanical gramophone motor in the world that will be noiseless when running although the super motor does come very close.
As far as I can remember, the only real adjustment that can be made on the 11a (& most other motors) is the position of the governor and it's bearings. So best you can do would be to position those to obtain the least amount of friction and noise. Just remember that even the best adjusted governor is going to make some noise if only from the weights moving through the air.

If there is some significant noise happening, then it's most likely due to wear to gear teeth or bearings.
Using oil and grease can help with this, but they're not a long term cure.
New felt or rubber grommets between the motor and motor board will also help to stop any motor noise resonating through the motor board.

Daithi
Victor II

Re: Tuning Garrard 11A / 11B motor

Post by Daithi »

gramophoneshane wrote: As far as I can remember, the only real adjustment that can be made on the 11a is the position of the governor. So best you can do would be to position those to obtain the least amount of friction and noise. If there is some significant noise happening, then it's most likely due to wear to gear teeth or bearings.
Using oil and grease can help with this, but they're not a long term cure.
Thanks Gramophone I have taken your advice and noticed some improvement by adjusting while its running for more quiet.
I also greased the gears with silicone grease which actually was a mistake and made it more noisy. Removed the silicone grease and replaced with ordinary grease and that also helped. Still not satisfactory but better.