Opening up brass mandrel ?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Opening up brass mandrel ?

Post by Curt A »

gramophoneshane wrote:Good to see you got the mandrel open and repaired Alex. You must be pleased with the result. With that problem solved, the restoration of everything else should be a breeze.
Just curious, but how did you determine that Alex fixed the mandrel? I don't see any post that indicates that progress was made in straightening the mandrel... :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote:
gramophoneshane wrote:Good to see you got the mandrel open and repaired Alex. You must be pleased with the result. With that problem solved, the restoration of everything else should be a breeze.
Just curious, but how did you determine that Alex fixed the mandrel? I don't see any post that indicates that progress was made in straightening the mandrel... :?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43951&p=259259#p259259
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

I would think that brass musical instrument repairers would be a good option to consider - they are often repairing dings and dents in brass tubas and trumpets, and would be experienced in the fine detail required for a job like this.