Washers at the bottom of HMV 102 spring case, Russian copy?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Washers at the bottom of HMV 102 spring case, Russian co

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote:
Phono48 wrote:Last of all in 1948 came the 102 E and H, which had the motorboard level with the case, no panel in the lid with the HMV logo on it, and no winding escutcheon.
Is it known whether the D and E were being manufactured at the same time, or did stock piled machines receive their serial/date number just prior to leaving the factory?

I ask this because nostalgia's 102E and my 102D are both dated 1950 (B/14), and mine has an escutcheon of sorts (the chrome plated U shaped metal piece held in by a single screw in the winder cut-out of the case), a sunken motor board, and no panel in the lid.
This is interesting! I've never seen 102 with the sunken motor board and no panel in the lid. Pictures please! Taking what information I can glean from the book, it would seem that the D and E overlapped time-wise.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Give me 24 hrs and I'll post a few px.
I've completely dismantled the machine to clean everything, so as soon as it's back together I'll take a few shots.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Yes the D and E overlapped in 1948-51. (The H came later, in 54, and appears to have been identical to the E except that it was for the Home market and came in black only. Coloured Es came back on the home (UK) market a bit later.)

The No 6 brake has three different versions of the 'business end', that engages the friction collar on the turntable hub. Early ones have a simple black vulcanite end. At some point in the 1930s, this was replaced by a solid domed metal stub with a groove in it Sorry, I haven't a picture of one, but will try and find one when I have a spare moment). Late models have simple up-turned end to the arm, but with a circular vulcanite washer underneath witch engaged with a bulge on the turntable collar. This kept the lever end from engaging the revolving collar too early, without making the ticking sound that occasionally occurs with the earlier types.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Thanks Oedipus. I had a feeling they were both being made at the same time at least into 1950.
I'm also familiar with the auto-brake that made a clicking sound as it approached the end of a record.
I remember either my 88 or 97 doing that and finding it quite annoying.

Barry, it's a day late, but here's a photo of my machine with the sunken motor board. Unfortunately my HMV transfer is almost non-existent. I'm not sure if it's due to records in the holder moving around during transport, or if it's a fairly common occurrence on these later machines.
Attachments
IMG_20200228_094544.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

gramophoneshane wrote:Thanks Oedipus. I had a feeling they were both being made at the same time at least into 1950.
I'm also familiar with the auto-brake that made a clicking sound as it approached the end of a record.
I remember either my 88 or 97 doing that and finding it quite annoying.

Barry, it's a day late, but here's a photo of my machine with the sunken motor board. Unfortunately my HMV transfer is almost non-existent. I'm not sure if it's due to records in the holder moving around during transport, or if it's a fairly common occurrence on these later machines.

Looks to me like the pad is missing and the inside lid has been repainted !

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote:
Thanks for taking the trouble. I've certainly never seen one like that before. I wonder if by the time this machine was manufactured (1950), and taking into account that the "H" was by then the current model, (without a pad), if it was simply a case of no stocks of the pads, so they simply put the transfer straight into the lid? Just a thought....

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Phono48 wrote:
Thanks for taking the trouble. I've certainly never seen one like that before. I wonder if by the time this machine was manufactured (1950), and taking into account that the "H" was by then the current model, (without a pad), if it was simply a case of no stocks of the pads, so they simply put the transfer straight into the lid? Just a thought....
It's certainly a possibility.
It could also have been done on machines exported to Oz? We did get some weird variations here that weren't sold in the UK so perhaps this is just another one?

I do know it's not a case of a missing pad and repaint.
The picture below shows what's left of the transfer under the lid.
I have seen 1 or 2 in the past, (in black) with a sunken motor board and no pad in the lid, but never checked the ID tag to see if it was a 102D.
Next time I see one I'll look and take some px.
Attachments
IMG_20200229_082518.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote:
I do know it's not a case of a missing pad and repaint.
It couldn't be that, because underneath the pad is always a square of covering cut out so that the pad could be glued direct to the lid, rather than to the covering. That missing square would be impossible to disguise. As your blue machine is in such excellent condition, have you thought about a new transfer? A bit on the costly side, maybe, but I've bought two or three, and found them to be excellent quality.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I would love to put the appropriate repro transfer on the lid, as the one thing I don't like about my machine is the missing transfer.
I didn't even know they were being reproduced.

Where are they available for sale?
I did check Greg Clines website but only the early Nipper transfer is pictured.