Washers at the bottom of HMV 102 spring case, Russian copy?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Washers at the bottom of HMV 102 spring case, Russian co

Post by Phono48 »

This is the one I was thinking of, but the one Soundgen has posted looks far more suitable!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-Gt-BRITA ... SwcGtca14C

Barry

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Actually the one Barry posted is the type it should have. The one with Made In GT Britain along the bottom.
Nostalgia posted a picture of his on the 3rd page of this thread.

I've got the first style posted by Soundgen, but the one I have is larger than what my 102 had.
I wasn't aware that the Sydney, NSW version was even available so I'll have to get 1 or 2 of those as well.

Thank you both for the links. It's much appreciated.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I am happy to know this thread now also caused your blue 102 to get a good cleanup and also a full restoration, Gramophoneshane:)
Thank you also to Oedipus for, again, giving information that else could be hard/impossible to get access to.
Barry, Soundgen..you have also contributed much here, always great to have these kind of information exchange.
I now know I need a standard autobrake no 6 to fit to my red 102...but will this autobrake only fit to the 270D motor, or could
I also install a 271C motor and still use the standard autobrake no 6 ?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

nostalgia wrote: I now know I need a standard autobrake no 6 to fit to my red 102...but will this autobrake only fit to the 270D motor, or could
I also install a 271C motor and still use the standard autobrake no 6 ?
Yes, you can, provided you also instal an HMV turntable, which is the standard one used on all 102s (except the very first model, which has a different collar on the underneath).

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Barry. I am happy I am able to use the motor of my black 102 with a lid in the cage bought one month ago, which has a bad looking case, but the motor is running well, and it also has a turntable etc.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

nostalgia wrote:I am happy to know this thread now also caused your blue 102 to get a good cleanup and also a full restoration, Gramophoneshane:)
As am I :-)
Had it not been for this thread my 102 would still be waiting and I've certainly learner's a few things along the way.

You'll have to let us know how the transplant goes when you gain access to your black donor machine.
You're sure to have a very attractive, desirable and very enjoyable machine once it's done.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I for sure will post pics and tell how the transplant goes. I have the motor, so it is more about waiting a few more weeks for warmer temperatures above 10 degrees C im in my unheated garage room. :)

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have picked up again this red 102, since I got hold of a 271D motor, however...when I opened the 271D it had no governor spring installed...not strange it run like crazy when I received it. Then I tried something, that not worked, I removed a governor spring from a 59 motor (HMV 101) and installed inside the 271D motor, but something is wrong, the gears do not run. Are the governor springs exchangeable between these motors, or do I need a governor belonging to a 271D motor, ...or do I need to look for another gear problem inside my 271D motor?

Update: Solved, they are similar, this time it was a loose spring in the governor that I had overlooked.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I promised to post a photo when this restoration was finished, and here it comes. The russian clone motor is out along with its Russian turntable, and substituted with a HMV 271D motor from a black panel in lid 102 donor machine. A donor automatic brake was added from the same black panel in lid 102 together with a brown felt turntable who now received a new red felt, but after the autobrake was added this turntable was stuck on the red 102, and did not move.
Then I tested another turntable from another black panel in lid 102, and it worked on the both the red 102, and the second black 102 ( it belongs to)with autobrake on both machines. When I then tested the now red felt turntable on the second black panel in lid 102, it worked om this machine. I have no idea why this is so, since both turntables ( red (earlier brown) and brown felt) are from two different black panel in lid 202s. I finally had to remove the autobrake from the red 102, then the red felt turntable also worked on the red 102. Obviously the now red felt turntable has an issue with the autobrake when it is fastened to the red 102, but not when it is fastened to the black 102, but the brown felt turntable belonging to the black panel in lid 102, works with the same autobrake on both machines. OMG...this became complex to read... :roll:
Well, here is the photo, instead of changing the turntable on both machines, and sacrifice another red felt..I can live without an autobrake on the red 102. The photo is taken with autobrake on, to show its completion. Gold colored washers are missing for the motorboard screws, will be added when shopped online...
PS. This red color of the felt was the closest I could find on Ebay UK, I think it works.
Attachments
Red HMV 102 (2).jpg