Hmv102 problem- advice please - winding handle sticking out

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
poodling around
Victor V

Hmv102 problem- advice please - winding handle sticking out

Post by poodling around »

The winding handle doesn't seem to go all the way into the 'winding hole' - I might be imagining this but it seems to stick out too far and just won't go in all the way. It winds okay but annoys me.

Is there a simple way of fixing this without dismantling everything. I tried oiling and greasing but to no avail. I even stuck a screwdriver in and twiddled it about a bit. :cry:

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Hmv102 problem- advice please - winding handle sticking

Post by gramophoneshane »

My 102D has a slotted crank, and it goes about 2.5cm into the hole in the motor. The slots are about 4cm long all up though.
I guess the first thing I'd do is, using a strong torch/light, check if there's anything visible in the hole stopping the crank from being pushed all the way in.

poodling around
Victor V

gramophoneshane wrote:My 102D has a slotted crank, and it goes about 2.5cm into the hole in the motor. The slots are about 4cm long all up though.
I guess the first thing I'd do is, using a strong torch/light, check if there's anything visible in the hole stopping the crank from being pushed all the way in.
Thanks - very useful advice. I will just go and check it out.

poodling around
Victor V

gramophoneshane wrote:My 102D has a slotted crank, and it goes about 2.5cm into the hole in the motor. The slots are about 4cm long all up though.
Very good. I am re-assured by what you say - I think I was in doubt because the slots on the handle do not go all the way in - just 2.5 cms as you say. No debris in there either.

Thank you for your help and great advice - really appreciated.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Not a problem :-)