For and Against 10 inch Versus 12 inch turntables

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Daithi
Victor II

For and Against 10 inch Versus 12 inch turntables

Post by Daithi »

Which to you prefer 10inch or 12inch turntables and why?

Thanks !

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: For and Against 10 inch Versus 12 inch turntables

Post by estott »

I have no preference, but a 12 inch turntable may provide more stability.

The Outing portable Co. sold a machine with a 12 inch turntable which it claimed avoided the "hollow sound" supposedly encountered when playing large records on smaller turntables.

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

12" turntables always seem to either have a fade mark or a scored ring at the 10" point. :(
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

phonosandradios wrote:12" turntables always seem to either have a fade mark or a scored ring at the 10" point. :(
Some time ago, a gentleman on ebay was selling a machine with the familiar needle score mark on it's 12" turntable. He said in his description "There is a circle on the turntable felt "to show where to put a ten inch record".!!!

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Phono48 wrote:
phonosandradios wrote:12" turntables always seem to either have a fade mark or a scored ring at the 10" point. :(
Some time ago, a gentleman on ebay was selling a machine with the familiar needle score mark on it's 12" turntable. He said in his description "There is a circle on the turntable felt "to show where to put a ten inch record".!!!
:lol:
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"There is a circle on the turntable felt "to show where to put a ten inch record".!!!

In reality: "There is a circle where some inattentive idiot didn't know where the record started and let the needle drag off the record..."
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

estott wrote: The Outing portable Co. sold a machine with a 12 inch turntable which it claimed avoided the "hollow sound" supposedly encountered when playing large records on smaller turntables.
A portable with a 12inch turntable must have been big. The idea appeals to me.
I can't switch turntables wihout removing the brake so I am unable to listen for the difference between the two.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

I use an ugly yellow suade matt over the felt to protect it. The matt has a ring of dirt at the 10 inch mark.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I think that what was said so far sums up pretty much the matter.

12'' turntables are associated with higher quality machines and undeniably offer better support for larger records. However, I have yet to see a 12'' turntable that hasn't aesthetic issues (scratches, spots, decoloration) at the 10'' circumference. The problem is caused especially by records that have no run-in groove and/or raised edge, which require extra care. Also, 10'' records can get hard to handle on a 12'' turntable and in a pair of occasions I really felt that I was close to break the record by pinching it at the spindle (although I never really broke any record).

10'' turntables are usually found in better (or at least more uniform) aesthetic conditions, and their small dimension allows for a more compact design of the machine, especially important with protables. Both 10'' and 12'' records are very easily and smoothly handled. Conversely, 12'' records will obviously lack support at their outer edge, and sometimes I even felt that the record was at risk of being cracked by the soundbox' weight (with records that are already chipped or bent, although again in practice this never really happened).

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The only practical, truly noticed, drawback of 10"tts is when playing 12"records, that hissy hollow nasty sound of the floating record unsupported area... Also, 12"tts are aesthetically much more elegant.
The luxurious Columbia portable 160/163 (113a in the uk) has a 11" tt, and it is very agreeable to put a 10"record and see that there's still more turntable around it! :D
Inigo