For and Against 10 inch Versus 12 inch turntables

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: For and Against 10 inch Versus 12 inch turntables

Post by jamiegramo »

Phono48 wrote:
Some time ago, a gentleman on ebay was selling a machine with the familiar needle score mark on it's 12" turntable. He said in his description "There is a circle on the turntable felt "to show where to put a ten inch record".!!![/quote]

The sort of seller comment that is so irritating you feel inclined not to bid!

Generally the greater mass of a 12" turntable would act as a better flywheel. Therefore storing more rotational energy and resisting speed fluctuations from the motor and the changes in drag from the needle.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

That bit about the resonance of the disc itself hanging off the edge of a 10" is correct. I like the green felt on my 12" turntable on the Victrola XIV. It's kind of pretty; adds a touch of color to the machine even when it's playing.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

jamiegramo wrote: Generally the greater mass of a 12" turntable would act as a better flywheel. Therefore storing more rotational energy and resisting speed fluctuations from the motor and the changes in drag from the needle.
I have an HMV#32 motor has had nothing but 25 winds its whole life so the first half of the wind doesn't store much energy but the second half is a real flyer. A 12 inch turntable helps to carry all that energy to the end of two sides even though there is not much energy stored in the spring anymore by the second half of side two.