Gold Tone Polishing on an HMV 88z

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Gold Tone Polishing on an HMV 88z

Post by CarlosV »

This soundbox was originally made to look dull as the photo shows, so there is no need to polish it.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The HMV88 was a cheap bottom of the range machine. All that glitters is not gold! The "gold" finish was used during a post war shortage of Chromium.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

pellicano1 wrote: Its safe to use on metal and wood. I did not use it on the Rexine. I use European Leather cleaner on the case.
I'm not sure I'd be using Scotts liquid gold for this application.
It's seems to be first and foremost, a wood rejuvenation related product, that they claim can also be used as a lubricating oil on bicycle chains and to prevent rust on garden tools etc. It's not any type of metal polish, and when you think about it, you're not really applying it to metal anyway, but you're applying it to paint.

Kind of like oiling the paintwork on a car?

If it can be used to lubricate a bike chain, does that mean it remains in a wet state, or does it dry somewhat to maybe become sticky and perhaps attract or trap dirt and dust rather than repel it??

Personally, I think you'd be better off treating the interior metal components as you would any other painted metal such as a horn or painted kiddyphone cabinet, by first cleaning it with soap and water to remove dirt and oils etc, and once it's thoroughly dry, use a good quality wax to seal and protect the paintwork.
Just don't use a wax paste type polish that is going to leave a white powdery substance in cracks and crevasses once dry.

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

gramophoneshane wrote:
pellicano1 wrote: Its safe to use on metal and wood. I did not use it on the Rexine. I use European Leather cleaner on the case.
I'm not sure I'd be using Scotts liquid gold for this application.
It's seems to be first and foremost, a wood rejuvenation related product, that they claim can also be used as a lubricating oil on bicycle chains and to prevent rust on garden tools etc. It's not any type of metal polish, and when you think about it, you're not really applying it to metal anyway, but you're applying it to paint.

Kind of like oiling the paintwork on a car?

If it can be used to lubricate a bike chain, does that mean it remains in a wet state, or does it dry somewhat to maybe become sticky and perhaps attract or trap dirt and dust rather than repel it??

Personally, I think you'd be better off treating the interior metal components as you would any other painted metal such as a horn or painted kiddyphone cabinet, by first cleaning it with soap and water to remove dirt and oils etc, and once it's thoroughly dry, use a good quality wax to seal and protect the paintwork.
Just don't use a wax paste type polish that is going to leave a white powdery substance in cracks and crevasses once dry.
I use it on my Victor III metal horn and it stays shiny for a few weeks. The product is safe to use on metal as advertised. Does absolutely no harm.

OH and thank you everyone for the replies!! Knowing it is supposed to have a dull gold finish helps! I will leave it alone from here on out!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

epigramophone wrote:The HMV88 was a cheap bottom of the range machine. All that glitters is not gold! The "gold" finish was used during a post war shortage of Chromium.
Cheap bottom range machine but sounds very good!!
Here is the premiere video from my YouTube channel I uploaded the other day: https://youtu.be/0DcRW_dwuTw
Thomas A. Edison

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Sounds good and looks good... you did just enough to improve it.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Curt A wrote:Sounds good and looks good... you did just enough to improve it.
Thanks Curt!!
Thomas A. Edison

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

pellicano1 wrote: I use it on my Victor III metal horn and it stays shiny for a few weeks. The product is safe to use on metal as advertised. Does absolutely no harm.
My point exactly.
It may be safe on metals, but you're applying to the paint on top of the metal, not to the Metal itself.

You obviously have to reapply the oil every few weeks, because it only stays shiny until the oil evaporates.
Reapplying it every few weeks will be building up goodness knows what kind of sludge on the surface of the paint.

If you clean it, then waxed it, it will remain shiny for years instead of weeks.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gramophoneshane wrote:
pellicano1 wrote: I use it on my Victor III metal horn and it stays shiny for a few weeks. The product is safe to use on metal as advertised. Does absolutely no harm.
... will be building up goodness knows what kind sludge...
Exactly. My mother used to use this stuff long ago to "polish" her dining room chairs, table, etc. After a while, it built up a sticky gunk that you could leave deep fingerprint impressions in, especially on hot & humid days. On the chairs, your clothes would stick to it when you got up. Wouldn't use it for anything... Just my experience.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I just read through Scotts product website, and in both the "Caution" and "Do Not Use On" sections, it states not to use liquid gold on painted surfaces.
Probably best you stop using it on your Victor.
If it were me, I'd even wash the horn down with vinegar, which is what they recommend to remove their chemical concoction, and use a good quality car wax, or even bees wax, to give your horn a lasting shine