Re-Plate or Replace

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Zkeener323
Victor I

Re-Plate or Replace

Post by Zkeener323 »

Some time back I made a post on the Machines thread detailing my Victor V acquisition. I have since obtained a horn and elbow and truly have enjoyed adding my first external horn machine to my collection. However, sometime in its past the nickel was completely stripped from the tone arm, and speed control. The bullet brake was left alone at least. The nickel was stripped so thoroughly, and the brass polished so much that I think it was done deliberately to match the horrible small brass reproduction horn. Would it be worth it to re-plate at least the tone arm, or should I seek a replacement. I just can't stand the way it looks now.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Re-Plate or Replace

Post by Curt A »

It should be easy enough to find good replacement parts. Re-plating can sometimes look overdone, unless you can find a good business that specializes in nickel plating. It's also usually expensive and finding good replacements may be more economically feasible...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

If you do need to re-plate ask for 'dull' nickel-plate. This is the old-fashioned plate that came out dull and matt and was then buffed-up afterwards. Modern nickel plating baths contain brighteners so that the finish comes out bright and shiny without the need for buffing. It can look rather harsh and by comparison sometimes rather chrome-like.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

jamiegramo gave good advice on asking for the different finishes of plating. I'm of the opinion that if you decide to re-plate, you should do everything including the little screws that hold the escutcheon, the edge of the turntable, and everything else that's already plated. It will look better. If you go down this road, I'd suggest you place the parts on your copier and print a copy of everything you have plated. It acts like a packing list.

Jerry Blais

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Nashville Plating is fine for replacing stuff in dull or aged nickel, or you could do it yourself.

Changing out parts is just kicking the can down the road. As far as a terrible small horn on a Vic V, do yourself a big favor and get rid of that thing, replacing it with a period-correct original (preferably sized right!)

I have done plating myself at home--and I am not good at all with it but it is still proudly displayed on my horn model Columbia. We're all staying indoors anyway until we're done with this souped-up flu season, so give a new hobby a shot.

Zkeener323
Victor I

Post by Zkeener323 »

Thank you all for the advise. I may probe out there to see if there is a reasonable replacement for my arm. I’m not interested in perfect by any means. But having a gleaming brass tone arm is just unsettling to me. I did replace the horn. It’s not quite as large as what was originally intended but the morning glory is in good condition. Black paint is fairly rust free, little gold left on the pinstripes but it makes the machine look fairly whole again. I’ll post pictures soon. The wood has been refinished, well done but in a bad color in my opinion. And I need to replace the felt. The replacement that is on it is almost a jade green. There is a re-plating facility close to me so that is why I thought of doing it. They offer reasonable fees as long as I do a batch and I have a sundry of other non phono items that I could add to make the batch worthwhile. My main reason for not pursuing it was I didn’t want to make a damaged item like the tone arm- made worse by re-plating. Preferably I would like a less than perfect arm since the machine isn’t museum quality as it is. I’ll have to weigh my options if I want to re-nickel all the parts or just the arm. I do prefer to retain originality when I can. I would be ok if the arm was gleaming and the other parts worn. In short, the machine isn’t perfect, I never intend it to be. But I would like it to look closer to period. If I get a wild hair I may consider doing the playing at home just for fun. I enjoy that sort of thing so it may be fun. But otherwise it will either be replacement or a re-plate (thank you for the advise on “dull” plate)
Best,
-Zach

Zkeener323
Victor I

Post by Zkeener323 »

Thank you all for the advise. I may probe out there to see if there is a reasonable replacement for my arm. I’m not interested in perfect by any means. But having a gleaming brass tone arm is just unsettling to me. I did replace the horn. It’s not quite as large as what was originally intended but the morning glory is in good condition. Black paint is fairly rust free, little gold left on the pinstripes but it makes the machine look fairly whole again. I’ll post pictures soon. The wood has been refinished, well done but in a bad color in my opinion. And I need to replace the felt. The replacement that is on it is almost a jade green. There is a re-plating facility close to me so that is why I thought of doing it. They offer reasonable fees as long as I do a batch and I have a sundry of other non phono items that I could add to make the batch worthwhile. My main reason for not pursuing it was I didn’t want to make a damaged item like the tone arm- made worse by re-plating. Preferably I would like a less than perfect arm since the machine isn’t museum quality as it is. I’ll have to weigh my options if I want to re-nickel all the parts or just the arm. I do prefer to retain originality when I can. I would be ok if the arm was gleaming and the other parts worn. In short, the machine isn’t perfect, I never intend it to be. But I would like it to look closer to period. If I get a wild hair I may consider doing the playing at home just for fun. I enjoy that sort of thing so it may be fun. But otherwise it will either be replacement or a re-plate (thank you for the advise on “dull” plate)
Best,
-Zach

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

PM sent.

Jerry B.

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

I use this guy, Joel, and he is the best I have ever found. I have stuff there being done now. I re-plate all the time and use single plate, like the factories did, nickel on to the steel. One point, tape off all threads and holes you do not want plated. If you do plate, re-plate every thing so it matches, like I did on the Edison B80 shown on YouTube Dyslexic Genius Hurt. Joel, my plater, just did 28 parts for me for under $300, and I should have them next week. I will do a video on it.

Plating service in Concord, North Carolina
Address: 2042 Wilshire Ct SW, Concord, NC 28025

Phone: (704) 784-4660

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »