How to set govenor to correct distance from brake pads

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

How to set govenor to correct distance from brake pads

Post by dzavracky »

I have taken apart 5 phonograph motors so far, and I have learned how the get them back together. BUT the issue I keep running into is the last step in putting the govenor back on. How do you know the correct distance to set the govenor?

When I took apart my columbia favorite, I spent hours making little adjustments to the govenor. First it was spinning too slow, then I moved it too much so it was spinning too fast. The whole hunting and pecking thing seemed incorrect to me. And my most recent machine, the columbia Nonpareil, I did not move the pin to adjust the govenor. I just took it out, cleaned everything and put it back toghther; so that the govenor was in the same position it was before I took it out.. Funnily enough it was the right speed before I took it apart (it was really loud though), and now that its back together its too fast!

Now obviously you can adjust the speed with the speed lever, but it kind of bothers me that the speed adjustment is set to "slow" just to make it spin the right speed. I would prefer that it be set in the middle and spin the right speed.

Anyways I hope my question makes sense!

thanks,

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: How to set govenor to correct distance from brake pads

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Tricky problem, but likely a simple fix. Try this--somehow fix the control shaft so it does not move, and adjust the control lever into the right position.

That might do it--I did that on a simple single-spring Columbia motor (OK, actually an Oxford but built by Columbia) and it worked. However, you will need to see if that works with your Grafonola motor. The Nonpareil motor is leagues ahead of the little pillar-and-plate single-spring motors.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: How to set govenor to correct distance from brake pads

Post by dzavracky »

Duh why didn’t I think of that :shock: . I did that on both my cortez and Edison B-25

Thanks Charles haha