Victor machines: when to use green or tan coloured felt?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Torjazzer
Victor II

Re: Victor machines: when to use green or tan coloured felt

Post by Torjazzer »

Thanks for all your inputs.
I have to say that the subject still confuses me. I have a vv-50 from 1924. When I purchased it some twenty-five years ago, it had been in storage for many decades, having not seen daylight. The turntable felt was most definitely tan: no hint of green whatsoever. Sadly, someone offered to restore it for me and replaced the original tan felt with green, stating "It just looks better". I was quite upset. I have much older machines which have original felts that are green so I don't think that there was a date of change-over. I think that the choice of whether to use green or tan was one of design. The reason I posted the topic originally was that I have recently seen a Credenza for sale. The seller claimed that the machine was "fully restored" but (among other issues) he had opted to use green felt. To me, that's a glaring failure. I have a 1926 Credenza and all examples I have seen have tan felts.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Torjazzer wrote:Thanks for all your inputs.
I have to say that the subject still confuses me. I have a vv-50 from 1924. When I purchased it some twenty-five years ago, it had been in storage for many decades, having not seen daylight. The turntable felt was most definitely tan: no hint of green whatsoever. Sadly, someone offered to restore it for me and replaced the original tan felt with green, stating "It just looks better". I was quite upset. I have much older machines which have original felts that are green so I don't think that there was a date of change-over. I think that the choice of whether to use green or tan was one of design. The reason I posted the topic originally was that I have recently seen a Credenza for sale. The seller claimed that the machine was "fully restored" but (among other issues) he had opted to use green felt. To me, that's a glaring failure. I have a 1926 Credenza and all examples I have seen have tan felts.
My earlier VV-50 has green felt, but my later one has burnt orange felt. I wouldn't call it tan, but that could be my eyes.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

52089 wrote:
Torjazzer wrote:Thanks for all your inputs.
My earlier VV-50 has green felt, but my later one has burnt orange felt. I wouldn't call it tan, but that could be my eyes.
Interesting. Thank you.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

52089 wrote:My earlier VV-50 has green felt, but my later one has burnt orange felt. I wouldn't call it tan, but that could be my eyes.
This is the color of the felt on all my later Victor machines that are not green. It's orange, not tan.
Attachments
14-Victor-Credenza-Mah-Spr-3.jpg
Best regards ... AZ*

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Hmm. My 1926 Credenza. Tan.
Attachments
IMG_20200420_135916.jpg