Is This Columbia Gear In Need Of Replacement?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Is This Columbia Gear In Need Of Replacement?

Post by pallophotophone »

Thank You, Jerry. That would be terrific, hopefully I still have the old gear. Right now the machine is in a tough to access spot up in my attic. The messed up governor gear is just about the only reason I never did anything with the machine. I bought it from Glen Gurwit during one of Doug and Marge Anderson's collectors meets at his home in Herkimer N.Y. Those were the days !!

BH

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

JerryVan wrote:
pallophotophone wrote:Hi,
The governor drive gear on my early model Columbia BC has a brown fiber midsection with a gear cut to it. The outside and interior edges are brass or steel, making a sort of metal and fiber sandwich, with a gear cut to it.
The worn example in the photo has almost the exact wear pattern as the one on my machine, but it's a different design - Mine is worn to a frazzle and totally useless as it won't engage the small governor drive gear at all. The governor gear is meant to run on the fiber. And it's probably very very quiet.

Somebody must make a replacement for these as I'm sure neither of these examples are an isolated incident.

Bob Hodge
Bob,

I have repaired many of the those gears. I replace the fiber, (leather), portion with black delrin. Unfortunately for now, this stupid virus has me separated from my workshop where I do this repair. Keep my name handy if you like and when(?) this thing is over, I can help you out.

Forgot to mention- BE WELL !!

BH

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

pallophotophone wrote:
JerryVan wrote:
pallophotophone wrote:Hi,
The governor drive gear on my early model Columbia BC has a brown fiber midsection with a gear cut to it. The outside and interior edges are brass or steel, making a sort of metal and fiber sandwich, with a gear cut to it.
The worn example in the photo has almost the exact wear pattern as the one on my machine, but it's a different design - Mine is worn to a frazzle and totally useless as it won't engage the small governor drive gear at all. The governor gear is meant to run on the fiber. And it's probably very very quiet.

Somebody must make a replacement for these as I'm sure neither of these examples are an isolated incident.

Bob Hodge
Bob,

I have repaired many of the those gears. I replace the fiber, (leather), portion with black delrin. Unfortunately for now, this stupid virus has me separated from my workshop where I do this repair. Keep my name handy if you like and when(?) this thing is over, I can help you out.

Forgot to mention- BE WELL !!

BH
Thank you! You be well too!