Is This Columbia Gear In Need Of Replacement?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Is This Columbia Gear In Need Of Replacement?

Post by Dave D »

I bought this on behalf of a co-worker who just bought a Victorian home and asked me to look out for an outside horn machine for him. I overhauled the motor and while it runs,it does not run well. This governor drive gear is concave in the center and looking at some junker Grafonola motors I have, it does not seem like it is supposed to be this way.

I think it is a model BN. Any advice on if this is my problem or does this gear look ok? If I need one, how hard are they to scrounge up?

Thanks,
Dave D
Attachments
IMG_2714.jpg
IMG_2713.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Is This Columbia Gear In Need Of Replacement?

Post by JerryVan »

Dave,

In what way does it not run well? Will it self start after the brake is released?

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Hi Jerry!
It needs to be push started to get going and then does not run steady.
Dave

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Dave,

When I zoom in on the bevel gear I'm thinking it doesn't look great either. Kind of looks as if it has some burrs on several teeth. This too could be the hard starting trouble. As a last ditch effort, I would carefully examine the bevel teeth and carefully file down any burrs. Failing that as a solution, I'd hunt up another gear.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Thanks, Jerry. I'll get my magnifier out and take a better look. That concave portion is not normal on Columbia, is it?
Dave D

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Dave D wrote:Thanks, Jerry. I'll get my magnifier out and take a better look. That concave portion is not normal on Columbia, is it?
Dave D
I don't think so Dave. I believe it's wear. Doesn't look terrible, but if that's what stalls it, then it should be replaced. Can you adjust the distance between it and the governor shaft? Sometimes, as you're probably aware, the end bearing is eccentric and you might find sweet spot that works well.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I tried that adjustment already with no luck.
Dave

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Another BN Columbia with a very skinny gear in it. The shiny points on the gear teeth are probably wear. It does rattle while running & sometimes must be push-started. I think the design of these machines lends itself to wearing rapidly and that is what happened--the governor worm running in the middle of the gear there is likely what wore out the gear on the one Dave D. is working on.

Do they make gears for these anymore, or will I have to scavenge one?
Attachments
DSC00160.JPG

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Hi,
The governor drive gear on my early model Columbia BC has a brown fiber midsection with a gear cut to it. The outside and interior edges are brass or steel, making a sort of metal and fiber sandwich, with a gear cut to it.
The worn example in the photo has almost the exact wear pattern as the one on my machine, but it's a different design - Mine is worn to a frazzle and totally useless as it won't engage the small governor drive gear at all. The governor gear is meant to run on the fiber. And it's probably very very quiet.

Somebody must make a replacement for these as I'm sure neither of these examples are an isolated incident.

Bob Hodge

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

pallophotophone wrote:Hi,
The governor drive gear on my early model Columbia BC has a brown fiber midsection with a gear cut to it. The outside and interior edges are brass or steel, making a sort of metal and fiber sandwich, with a gear cut to it.
The worn example in the photo has almost the exact wear pattern as the one on my machine, but it's a different design - Mine is worn to a frazzle and totally useless as it won't engage the small governor drive gear at all. The governor gear is meant to run on the fiber. And it's probably very very quiet.

Somebody must make a replacement for these as I'm sure neither of these examples are an isolated incident.

Bob Hodge
Bob,

I have repaired many of the those gears. I replace the fiber, (leather), portion with black delrin. Unfortunately for now, this stupid virus has me separated from my workshop where I do this repair. Keep my name handy if you like and when(?) this thing is over, I can help you out.