Victor Toy Phonograph Reproducer Help Needed

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Victor Toy Phonograph Reproducer Help Needed

Post by Dave D »

I have had time lately to work on some projects and decided to tackle this one. I bought a replica Victor Toy at an auction a year or so ago.

It was pretty dirty and the reproducer casting was still very rough looking. I spent hours with progressive grits of sand paper smoothing out as many of the casting marks as I could and then plated it. I made the curved rod to go through the horn and I also made a small thumb screw for it and put in a mica. I still need to wax it. I heat blued the new thunb screw.

The needle bar has a hole in it which allows the needle to poke out the top. I might make a little brass plug to fit in there. Not sure I will nickel plate the needle bar or not.

Question: Is there supposed to be a slot/hole in the mica for the needle bar to fit into? Or, does it just press against the mica? If it needs a slot, how do I do that and do you then wax it?

I have ever seen one of these in person and can't tell from the pictures in the books.

I have attached pictures of my reproducer and will post pictures of it all done if anyone is interested.
Attachments
IMG_2716.jpg
IMG_2717.jpg