Victor VV-X-A Restore guidance

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Victor VV-X-A Restore guidance

Post by Inigo »

The sound of the motor seems like something hitting in a wrong place. You'll have to examine it in action to see where the sound is located. If it is the governor, don't play records until you've fixed it...
Inigo

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Inigo wrote:The sound of the motor seems like something hitting in a wrong place. You'll have to examine it in action to see where the sound is located. If it is the governor, don't play records until you've fixed it...

I lubed everything again with a different oil, now she purrs. :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Sweet! I wasn't able to get the video working on my computer but the progress pictures have been amazing.

Thanks for sharing your restoration with us! Plan to do another??

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Sweet! I wasn't able to get the video working on my computer but the progress pictures have been amazing.

Thanks for sharing your restoration with us! Plan to do another??

As soon as I can convince the wife, lol. Thank you for all your help on this one. Can't wait to find another.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Just a suggestion if you try to restore another machine... the reason your first attempt on the tonearm mount failed is that you used a modern clear coat over the original black paint and they were not compatible which caused the wrinkling... Clear lacquer or clear shellac will work better and not cause that problem, or completely strip all the old finish down to bare metal first, then you can use any modern paint.

One nit picky thing: ditch those nickel cabinet knobs and locate correct original knobs to make it look correct.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Curt A wrote:Just a suggestion if you try to restore another machine... the reason your first attempt on the tonearm mount failed is that you used a modern clear coat over the original black paint and they were not compatible which caused the wrinkling... Clear lacquer or clear shellac will work better and not cause that problem, or completely strip all the old finish down to bare metal first, then you can use any modern paint.

One nit picky thing: ditch those nickel cabinet knobs and locate correct original knobs to make it look correct.
Not nit picky. I do want it to look original. I wasn't sure about the knobs, so I plated them thinking that's the way they were.