Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
RNaylor
Victor Jr

Re: Victor VV-X-A Restore guidance

Post by RNaylor »

Thank you VanEpsFan1914

I think the horn came out pretty good.
20200425_123800.jpg
But as you mentioned, I think some of what I thought was rust may have actually been paint. Can anyone verify if the horn was also painted mahogany?

As for sealing the horn, would modernizing with silicone be acceptable?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The cast portion of Victrola horns is not color matched to the finish. Your black will do just fine. Jerry

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

The cast portion of the horn on my mahogany XI is painted a color that railroaders call tuscan red (also known as box-car red or barn red). See https://rikett.net/product/rqt-classic-tuscan-red/. As Jerry said, your black will do OK. However, if you look straight into the horn opening it is possible to see the cast iron through the slats. Of course, it's your choice what color to paint your horn; I'm just reporting on this one particular example. What's sold as red automotive primer or metal primer is a close enough approximation to tuscan red, I would think.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Here’s a pic of a horn casting of similar vintage. Upright XI, but should be the same color as yours would have been originally.

Good luck!

Matt
Attachments
B334B011-CBD9-472C-B83C-2E8810167020.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Was the color of the cast portion of the horn the same for an oak or mahogany machine? Maybe I was incorrect with my statement that they were not color matched to the finish. :oops:

Jerry

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Thank you all for the input. I was going to keep it black as Jerry had suggested, but Henry's point about the inside brought me to just painting the inside. And since I had plenty of paint left, Mattrx's post led me to paint the whole thing.

Due to stores being empty of everything right now, I could not find Red auto primer, but using the color link Henry sent, I found that Krylon has a color called Satin Brick that is almost dead on. Of course I got that before seeing Mattrx's post for a color match, but I think it will do. I'll post another pic once the lacquer is dry on the wood portion and it's assembled.

~Ron

Also, I noticed each part of the cabinet is stamped with the same number. Is this the craftsman's mark?
20200429_190529 (2).jpg
Has anyone had success restoring the finish inside the lid without destroying the logo?
20200430_105004 (1).jpg

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I probably have a tone arm for you. Do you also need the cast iron fitting for it?
Dave D

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Dave D wrote:I probably have a tone arm for you. Do you also need the cast iron fitting for it?
Dave D
Yes, I will need both parts. I have also found several on Ebay but I don't know the correct length.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Jerry B. wrote:Was the color of the cast portion of the horn the same for an oak or mahogany machine? Maybe I was incorrect with my statement that they were not color matched to the finish. :oops:

Jerry

Jerry, I don't think you were completely wrong. I have seen many on Ebay that are in Black too. Maybe it depends on year of manufacture? Or just on specific models.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"Has anyone had success restoring the finish inside the lid without destroying the logo?"

The simple answer is "NO", and considering the condition of the inside of your lid, you should refinish it to match the new outside, so it doesn't look mismatched. If the inside was good, you could leave it... Buy a decal from Gregg Cline (https://www.phonodecal.com) - his are the best. Follow his instructions for installation and you will end up with a great restoration...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.01.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.01.28 PM.png (632.16 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife