Victor VV-X-A Restore guidance

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victor VV-X-A Restore guidance

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

You're doing great by sticking with hand tools, and you're right about the craftsmen who built these things to begin with! Taking your time is hurting absolutely nothing. Looks like more good work.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Still buffing out the cabinet. I decided to test fit the tone arm and horn. Now I'm wondering if I'm missing something. The tone arm extends below the mounting board, but doesnt fit into the cast horn. Is this how it should be? Aren't they both supposed to make contact with the mounting board?
20200609_142050.jpg
20200609_142109.jpg
And should there be anything between them and the board?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

On the Victrola I did the horn stayed on its side of the board, and the tone arm kind of emptied into it. Do the bolt holes line up?

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

I mounted the horn and all the holes line up. When i put on the tonearm, it sits high, but the holes do line up.
20200617_171201.jpg
I assume it is supposed to slide into the throat of the horn, so i took measurements and found.02 difference. Guess ill have to do some grinding to make it fit.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Polish the inside of the horn, not removing metal from the tonearm.

On mine I had to use grease to make the fit; that was good. Actually by doing this, you will be contributing to better sound quality as there will be an air-tight seal.

You may wish to fit the tonearm bracket without the actual arm in it! Might make it easier & reduce risk of damaging the nickel plating on the tonearm.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Finally finished!!

For the most part.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Since i had to remake the surround for the motor board, I'm not quite sure where to place the pivot for the motor board arm that hols it up. Where i thought it went causes the arm to hit the horn when lowered.
If anyone can post a pic of where theirs is mounted, it would be greatly appreciated.

There's also a sound coming from the motor that i posted in another post that I haven't identified.

Thank for the suggestion for where to get a new decal, he does great work! Even helped me when i messed up the first one(accidentally swapped solutions).

Cleaned up some of the records, and they played better than i thought they would.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Forum is givin me posting problems, so sorry for the extra posts as i try to figure it out.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

Finally finished!!

For the most part.

Since i had to remake the surround for the motor board, I'm not quite sure where to place the pivot for the motor board arm that hols it up. Where i thought it went causes the arm to hit the horn when lowered.
If anyone can post a pic of where theirs is mounted, it would be greatly appreciated.

There's also a sound coming from the motor that i posted in another post that I haven't identified.
20200726_191847.jpg
20200726_214041.jpg
(I didn't finish cleaning it, please ignore the leftover polish on the edges)
20200721_170820.jpg
Thank for the suggestion for where to get a new decal, he does great work! Even helped me when i messed up the first one (accidentally swapped solutions).

Cleaned up some of the records, and they played better than i thought they would.
20200726_195057.mp4
(55.86 MiB) Downloaded 398 times
Ignore the motor noise, still trying to figure out what's causing it.

RNaylor
Victor Jr

Post by RNaylor »

The forum didn't like my emojis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you all for you help on this project. I've learned a lot. I feel there is more to learn, especially with lacquer, lol.

Now it's time to find another Victrola :-)