Fireside A slipping out of 2 minute gear

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
colmike1
Victor III

Fireside A slipping out of 2 minute gear

Post by colmike1 »

I am working on an Edison Fireside Model A. For some reason it keeps slipping out of 2 minute gearing. It will play though in 4 minute just fine. The speed change slides way too easy. Any tricks to correct this?
Mike

Phonolair
Victor III

Re: Fireside A slipping out of 2 minute gear

Post by Phonolair »

colmike1 wrote:I am working on an Edison Fireside Model A. For some reason it keeps slipping out of 2 minute gearing. It will play though in 4 minute just fine. The speed change slides way too easy. Any tricks to correct this?
Mike

Mike a good place to start is remove that 2&4 min. shaft so you can see if the tension / friction spring is in place.
I've seen two types, a flat spring on the shaft and a C shaped spring or C clip around the shaft.
If the cut out in the shaft is empty then the spring is gone and will need another.
That spring is what gives you some tension on the 2&4 shaft when you move it in and out.

Larry Crandell

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks Larry, I have had Firesides apart but not to that degree. I've always thought of the Fireside as a nearly bullet proof phonograph and one with excellent design and function. It was great value for its original owner as well as today's collector.

Jerry Blais

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Phonolair wrote:
colmike1 wrote:I am working on an Edison Fireside Model A. For some reason it keeps slipping out of 2 minute gearing. It will play though in 4 minute just fine. The speed change slides way too easy. Any tricks to correct this?
Mike

Mike a good place to start is remove that 2&4 min. shaft so you can see if the tension / friction spring is in place.
I've seen two types, a flat spring on the shaft and a C shaped spring or C clip around the shaft.
If the cut out in the shaft is empty then the spring is gone and will need another.
That spring is what gives you some tension on the 2&4 shaft when you move it in and out.

Larry Crandell
I just checked, and yes, the flat spring is gone. I should be able to replicate it. Thanks. I have never had this issue before.
Mike