Help Wanted restoring my Brass Phono Horns

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
zapper
Victor II

Help Wanted restoring my Brass Phono Horns

Post by zapper »

I have been raiding the attic for projects during the lockdown. Many years ago I bought 2 brass Phono horns for a junk shop. (left hand horn)Unfortunately, I am guessing the end had been cut off to fit to a gramophone. It is more use to me as a phono horn as I have a table stand that fits just nice. Can any one advise how best to make an end piece and whether I can solder it on.(right hand)This horn is split along the folded joint. Is it possible to solder this split or will it fall to bits?
I have seen one of the members restores horns so any advise would be great.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_0564.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Help Wanted restoring my Brass Phono Horns

Post by JerryVan »

Your left side horn could have a sleeve made for it, or a cut off portion of a junk donor horn, that slides over the messed up area. That sleeve can be soldered on. It will not be an invisible repair however, as there will be a telltale step where the add-on sleeve ends.

The right side horn can be soldered. I believe Eric Riess' book discusses such a repair. You basically wrap the horn wire to force it back round and to close the joint. Then carefully solder the cracked seam. Since repairs of this nature don't have the advantage of overlapping joints, the structural integrity of the repair may be minimal. Do all your polishing before the repair, as doing it later may destroy your efforts. (Also, be careful to not worsen the crack while polishing)

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Beautiful horns, as Jerry said, a sleeve would be quite easy and a quick fix, if you wanted a seamless repair it could be done with a donor part, or a little skill and patience. I could PM you step-by step instructions on how I've done it in the past if you want, just let me know.

For the re-solder, use a good, strong stripper and steel brush to clean as deep and as much as you can of where you're going to solder, then wipe and clean with rubbing alcohol and allow to dry for a couple of hours, bind with wire, again as Jerry stated and use the solder in the link I'm adding, I order 4 at a time because they're small tubes, it works with very low temp, a soldering iron or small butane torch is great, and it bonds tight as a weld. I use it to solder spiders to replacement diaphragms and it works perfect.. It can be easily finished out with a dremel and/or jewelers file. It is amazing stuff when it comes to repairing horns. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the finished product :D :D

https://iso-tip.com/product/silver-bear ... paste-7459

audioengr
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Roaring 20's

Post by audioengr »

Try bar-keepers friend to take the oxidation off those:

https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Frie ... B000V72992