Can a reproducer thumbscrew be "built up"?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Victor VI

Can a reproducer thumbscrew be "built up"?

Post by 52089 »

I have two portables (an Outing and a Cameraphone) that won't take anything thinner than a loud tone needle because the thumbscrew will only go in so far. Is it possible to build up or extend the end of a thumbscrew somehow? I was considering trying a dab of JBWeld or solder but I don't want to mess anything up.

All ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Can a reproducer thumbscrew be "built up"?

Post by fran604g »

Kevin, perhaps coming up with a small shim to insert is the best solution? I'm thinking you could theoretically cut the threaded shaft off the head and have a small piece of dowel added in between to extend the threaded portion - making the shank that much longer. But, it defies me to understand how that might be achieved. TIG, maybe? But still, I can't imagine something that fine being fused any other way than with silver soldering, and I'm sure it would be an intense challenge.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Can a reproducer thumbscrew be "built up"?

Post by Curt A »

Is the thumbscrew "bottoming out" on the knurled knob and stopping or is the hole in the needle bar too shallow and not allowing it to screw all the way in? You definitely can't extend the thumbscrew by adding JB Weld to it. The only possibility is to try another, longer thumbscrew or a slotted screw that is the same size and thread pitch, but longer... You could wrap tape around the needle to increase the diameter or just live with loud tone needles... which is the easiest solution. What's wrong with loud tone needles anyway?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife