Victor VV-330 Key Bent --- How Do I Straighten w/o Damaging?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Pathe Logical
Victor II

Victor VV-330 Key Bent --- How Do I Straighten w/o Damaging?

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a gorgeous Victor VV-330 in mahogany with scarce, appropriate key (badly bent in multiple directions) from a local estate. To the best of my knowledge, this type of key wasn't used on any other Victrola (the key is unique to this model).

How do I straighten this key without breaking, cracking, defacing, marring, or otherwise damaging it? Am I best to leave well enough alone? Any help/advice/suggestions would be most welcome! I don't want to make a bad situation worse!

Thanks,
Bob
Attachments
Victor VV-330 Key (View 1 of 4) - Copy.JPG
Victor VV-330 Key (View 2 of 4) - Copy.JPG
Victor VV-330 Key (View 3 of 4) - Copy.JPG
Victor VV-330 Key (View 4 of 4) - Copy.JPG

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Victor VV-330 Key Bent --- How Do I Straighten w/o Damag

Post by GregVTLA »

Did you find this one on Craigslist in Maryland?

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I think its a lost cause. Maybe you should just sell it to me! :lol: :roll: :D :P

Just kidding! I imagine someone on here will have an idea. Good luck.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

There is no one bend to contend with. The shaft is bent in two directions, while the head has an "S" bend in it. Makes it really complicated. My advice is to leave it alone. Anything you do to it has the possibility of leaving scars on it. The worst being breaking it, the least being damaging the finish, which is rather nice yet. And really, it's not all that bad as it is.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I agree with Jerry... Hope you got it for a good price. It makes you wonder what in the world someone did to it to bend it that way... :?

I had a wreath Victrola key that was bent and found another wreath "furniture" key that had a good shaft, but was too long. I cut the two apart and soldered them together to make one good key... Maybe you will get lucky and find another sometime and then can experiment on straightening this one. Heating it and trying to straighten it would probably end up damaging it, although heating it and using a hydraulic press - very carefully - with the key sandwiched between two small pieces of oak might be tempting...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

GregVTLA wrote:Did you find this one on Craigslist in Maryland?
No, this came from an estate which I had the opportunity to pick in WI. The home had been in the family since the 1850s --- lots of nice, clean, quality antiques! I also purchased an Edison Fireside with original black 10-panel cygnet horn and crane, and about 70 cylinders all with matching lids and boxes. Luckily this all took place before the corona virus thing took off here!

Curt A wrote:
It makes you wonder what in the world someone did to it to bend it that way...
I thought the same thing --- someone had to really go out of there way to do this! I'm just happy to have the key!
Last edited by Pathe Logical on Fri May 08, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

I would think that heating the key (eg. with a blowtorch) will soften the metal so it can be gently and slowly hammered back into shape will work. Brass musical instrument repairers would be an excellent place to take it to as they have lots of experience straightening and smoothing dents in brass, while also being mindful of the finish.