Stuck Credenza Grill

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Covah
Victor II

Stuck Credenza Grill

Post by Covah »

Friends,
A Credenza grille should slide up after removing four screws. So why won't this one? Interestingly a site says "Grilles that are installed by sliding in from the top are often difficult to remove because the wood of the cabinet frame and/or the re-entrant horn are affected by moisture that causes swelling and binding of the grille frame. The center mass of the horn often push..."

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... e-22830702

That would be it. The center of the horn is pinching the grille. Show's over unless I tear it out which is not happening. Any ideas but wait for a drier day?

Thanks!

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Re: Stuck Credenza Grill

Post by AudioFeline »

If the wood has expanded I'm not aware of a technique to reduce it back to original size (but I'm happy for someone with more expertise to share a technique that I'm not aware of).

When moisture gets into wood it is absorbed by the fibers and they swell. When the moisture evaporates, the fibers can shrink towards their original size, but sometimes they don't return to the exact previous size - they dry and harden in the slightly expanded form. A hairdryer is unlikely to make any difference because the damage-causing moisture has probably evaporated many years ago.

I would think there are three options for removing it (and bear in mind that I'm not familiar with the Credenza).
First option: dismantle some components so it can be removed.
Second option: You may be able to gently prize the grille off, slowly working one mm at a time on each side. You might be able to put some pressure on the grille or the horn to reduce the tightness.
Third option: to break it off (not recommended).

If you are able to get it off, you can sand the swollen parts of the wood back to their original dimensions and have nothing to worry about in the future (unless more moisture gets in).

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

My Credenza with electric motor has 6 screws on the grill. I'm keeping a spring motor Credenza temporarily for a friend, and that has 4 screws. Maybe you've got kind with 6 screws?

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

That's what I thought, Detrbear, more screws. Would that were the case! I looked and looked. Maybe some wise guy will say, did you look over there? YIKES! That would make my day, hence the post.

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

Well, the one with 4 screws, they are at the very top and bottom, inset from the sides be 3 to 4 inches, and the grill looks to be removable only with the motor board lifted out, then comes straight out the top. If it sticks on the way up, maybe a little coaxing up with a rubber mallet and small block of wood against the top arches of the grill until you can grab it from the top?

The one with 6 screws are right along both sides and looks like it swings out the front, bottom first, then down. The center doors might have to come out to get clearance.

I hope one or the other helps!

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

Or, there's this thread from 9 years ago with some good ideas...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5821&hilit=removing+credenza+grill