Styli for Edison cylinder reproducers?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Styli for Edison cylinder reproducers?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I pulled the Fireside off the shelf the other day and thought I really need to put a fresh set of styli in it. The old ones are not in good enough shape to use. It has most of a Model K reproducer that was not in perfect shape when I got it.

The 4-minute is missing its stylus I think; when it was together it would play two or three grooves at once. The 2-minute isn't particularly great either and I think I will have to do something with it too.

When this phonograph was actually working about a year or so ago, it didn't sound as good as it should. The K reproducer buzzes some from mechanical oddness in it and the stylus bars seem to work themselves over to where they touch and then end up interfering with one another.

I'm about this close to sending it off to a repairman, or at least the bottom half of it to be re-worked; hate to put a nice older phonograph out of service just by my own clumsiness and setting it aside into my innumerable "old projects."

And if I can save enough maybe I can paint the horn for it too!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Styli for Edison cylinder reproducers?

Post by Jerry B. »

I would appreciate comments from persons that have worked on the K or O reproducers. I don't have much experience with cylinders reproducer repairs but always thought the ones with two styli were quite a bit more difficult to adjust. Others?

Thanks, Jerry

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Probably the best resource would be Steve Medved. I purchased a K from a well known dealer on eBay last November that was completely rebuilt by Steve, and it's a marvel. I was surprised that it plays wax Amberols as loud as my H did.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:I would appreciate comments from persons that have worked on the K or O reproducers. I don't have much experience with cylinders reproducer repairs but always thought the ones with two styli were quite a bit more difficult to adjust. Others?

Thanks, Jerry
Three years ago I bought a Model D Gem out of a collection, but it hadn't been touched in many years. Dusty, paint dull, and dry as a bone.

The K Reproducer gaskets turned out to be original, so you can imagine how bad it sounded. When I rebuilt it, I did all the usual polishing (I like the copper diaphragms to shine too) and lubrication. The two stylus bars are no more difficult to reassemble than a C or an H, but you need to pay attention to how they mount, or you may find that you need to remove them and start again. The ends of the stylus bars are shaped to loosely fit together, so that needs to be observed as well.

I usually need to slightly adjust the compression ring after a test playing after rebuilding, but that time it happened to be spot on. As a matter of fact, I played the machine for two friends shortly thereafter and they were surprised at how good that Model K sounds. We occasionally read that Model Ks don't sound as good as a C or an H, but that's not always true.

In short - don't be afraid to rebuild a K. They're not difficult to adjust. Of course, the caveat is that you must have a bit of mechanical ability and good eye/hand coordination. My poor father (a very bright guy with a PhD) couldn't even change a spark plug in a lawnmower. Fortunately, whatever mechanical aptitude I have came from my mother's side of the family! :)

George P.