Suggestings regarding "refreshing" this horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Suggestings regarding "refreshing" this horn

Post by CharliePhono »

Hello all. Finally getting this little beastie up and running (original thread here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42017&p=247730&hil ... sy#p247730). While I await the return of the motor and soundbox from M.Monster, I thought to address the Forum regarding the horn. It is very much intact and shows well. Inigo commented in the original thread noted above regarding these horns. At any rate, being that it is very lightweight, I am surprised it survived all these years intact.

The finish, such as it is, is very dull to lackluster. Perhaps this is the original patina. Is there a safe product which could be used on the horn to give it more of a enhanced satin finish, and would this be appropriate? I did clean it when I got it home, but the Goop darkened it slightly. TIA!
Attachments
IMG_0472.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Suggestings regarding "refreshing" this horn

Post by JerryVan »

From what I see in the photo, it looks wonderful as-is.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

It looks terrific, just leave it as it is!

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Jerry and Marco: Thanks for your input. I will indeed leave the horn as is. However, any suggestions on a product to help preserve/protect the wood?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

CharliePhono wrote:Jerry and Marco: Thanks for your input. I will indeed leave the horn as is. However, any suggestions on a product to help preserve/protect the wood?

As far as preservation & protection goes, it seems that during the last 110 years, it has needed nothing but care & cleaning. I would continue that routine. :) (Maybe keep it out of direct sunlight and away from low humidity, but that's about it.)

Very cool phonograph by the way!

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

JerryVan wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Jerry and Marco: Thanks for your input. I will indeed leave the horn as is. However, any suggestions on a product to help preserve/protect the wood?

As far as preservation & protection goes, it seems that during the last 110 years, it has needed nothing but care & cleaning. I would continue that routine. :) (Maybe keep it out of direct sunlight and away from low humidity, but that's about it.)

Very cool phonograph by the way!
Thanks again, Jerry. Yes, the horn is incredibly well preserved. It will not be in direct sunlight, but as for humidity, that tends to be pretty low in this part of CA, particularly as we edge into summer.

I think the little Dulcephone is pretty cool, too. I will be anxious to finally hear it sing -- probably next week some time.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Wouldn't beeswax (furniture paste type, not beehive wax) work to give it a little more shine?

I noticed in your original thread you used lemon oil. I've always found furniture oils dry up pretty quickly giving a finish a patchy look.
Beeswax usually shines up the finish, much like what car polish does for paint. Beeswax makes it more dust and moisture resistant, and should last for a couple years before needing to be redone. It's also natural and completely reversible.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

gramophoneshane wrote:Wouldn't beeswax (furniture paste type, not beehive wax) work to give it a little more shine?

I noticed in your original thread you used lemon oil. I've always found furniture oils dry up pretty quickly giving a finish a patchy look.
Beeswax usually shines up the finish, much like what car polish does for paint. Beeswax makes it more dust and moisture resistant, and should last for a couple years before needing to be redone. It's also natural and completely reversible.
Greetings, GShane! Yes, I have decided for the time being to use a good quality furniture wax on it and buff it out. I agree that the lemon oil dries quickly. I usually keep an old rag on hand which is used just for the lemon oil to just knock the dust off furniture, but don't really look to it to finish or polish wood surfaces.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Glad to see you're still kicking around CharliePhono--and that you're making headway on the Dulcephone project. That will be a great machine when it's complete.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If you are going to use furniture wax, use a good quality paste wax like Staples Crystal Clear Paste Wax... https://www.hfstaples.com/shop/paste-wax/
This polishes out to a smooth hard finish because of the Carnauba wax...
Beeswax remains "sticky" and attracts dust...
Attachments
Copy-of-Paste-Wax-Clear-2261.jpg
Copy-of-Paste-Wax-Clear-2261.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife