Removing Rust with Electrolysis

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Removing Rust with Electrolysis

Post by Curt A »

A few years ago, I posted a video with instructions for rust removal using Electrolysis. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of rusty machines that have been found or purchased, so I thought it might be time to repost this method for review... It is also great for restoring rusty tools, etc.

This YouTube video seems to be one of the most complete explanations that I have found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ADeB6V1rQ

Hope this helps, as it works extremely easily and better than other methods I have tried. I have used this method with great success on some ver rusty parts, just remember to use Arm & Hammer "Washing Soda" (WalMart carries it) and not "Baking Soda". Good luck.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Re: Removing Rust with Electrolysis

Post by phonosandradios »

Hi Curt
I have a rusted bolt with a nut rusted onto it. The thread is quite rusty do you reckon this might help me clear the thread a little to loosen it? Its quite a thin bolt so I am reluctant to use too much force on it in case it shears off. I've been trying to think how to free it up for a while now without damaging it so if you or anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Photos added.
Attachments
20200412_181340.jpg
20200412_181313.jpg
20200412_181326.jpg
Last edited by phonosandradios on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

phonosandradios wrote:Curt
I have a rusted bolt with a nut rusted onto it. The thread is quite rusty do you reckon this might help me clear the thread a little to loosen it? Its quite a thin bolt so I am reluctant to use too much force on it in case it shears off.
I would definitely try this method and after the rust is removed, use penetrating oil on the nut. If you have a grinding wheel, mount a circular brass wire brush to the arbor and take off as much excess leftover rust, in front of and behind the nut, as possible before the next step...(A Dremel, or rotary tool with a wire brush will work as a substitute). Another thing to clear the threads would be to use the correct size thread die to re-cut them (make sure the bolt size and thread pitch are correct before attempting this). Fasten the bolt securely in a vise and use a good quality wrench (not an adjustable wrench) of the correct size to try to remove the nut, carefully working it both directions - slowly, on and off. Not fastening the bolt securely and using a poor quality wrench can lead to rounding or misshaping the nut. Good luck...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonosandradios
Victor II

Thanks Curt. I tried penetrating oil and nothing moved. I will try the steps you suggest.

I want to try and get this apart undamaged so I can get the metal plate re-plated to go on the back of my VE9-55

Thanks for the tips.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

After seeing your pics and seeing the two nuts and bolts, I would try using the brass brush idea of a rotary tool with a brass brush, first. Try to get as much rust off the threads in that manner since you don't have a lot of excess bolt length to work with... A wire brush will clean those threads pretty well and allow you to remove the nuts. Electrolysis would work, but it works better for parts that aren't attached to wood, unless you don't care about the wood base...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 3.37.29 PM.png

My Wife

phonosandradios
Victor II

Thanks for that suggestion. The plate is mounted on part of an old cabinet which I cut up. I am just trying to get this off the scrap wood so water damage would be no issue here. The difficult thing is that at the other end of the bolt is a flat cut screw with only a very shallow (and rusted slot) so there is not much to grip onto to hold it in place especially as I don't want to damage the top of the screw. I though initially about using heat to try and loosen it up but there is a softish plastic type material insert just beneath the nuts that would likely be damaged if I did get the heat gun out. I have found it does scratch easily so I will have to be careful with the brass brush to not damage it.

I guess the trick will be to get it is clean as possible, use oil and gentle pressure and keep my fingers crossed. I'll keep the swear jar nearby. I think I'm going to need it!

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Phonos, you might try TIGHTENING the nuts just slightly, then loosening them. I have done this on larger nuts/bolts such as farm equipment. Might give it a try.

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

When I was cleaning a rusty screw thread on my phonograph a forum member told me to try Evapo-rust. It is water soluable and safe. It was successful and since I have cleaned many rusty parts. Even using it on my classic car parts. Maybe a useful alternative.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

possibly try a high heat solder iron.... I work at a marina and we never even attempt to remove bolts without applying heat.. Get it as hot as you can and then quench it with penetrating oil.. you are looking for the metal to expand and contract hopefully breaking the bond.

As Frisco said,, work it tight and loose, small steps at a time.. If you have a Dremel,, I would deepen and cleanup the groove in those screws so you can get a good bite.

Also if you have a vise,, put the proper size socket in the vise and put the piece on the socket. Now using the right size screw driver (one that's in good shape and not buggered up) line it up in the groove and with a lot of downward pressure twist it one way or another while tapping it with a small hammer.. you will have to put something under the socket or use and extension so the socket does not slip down when your tapping on the screw driver.

good luck

blizz

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Meet your new best friend:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71g ... _QL65_.jpg

This even frees up stuck piston rings in an engine. Expensive but really, really worth it. Soak it and let it sit overnight. Repeat if necessary.

Warning though: This stuff really stinks. Literally.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek