Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Re: ...

Post by AudioFeline »

I think it says something about him that he would go to the trouble of deleting his posts here. That's really making a statement of "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home" rather than leaving quietly.

Also ironic given the restoration feedback that he got, and his avatar describes him as "True restorations: Antiques and more". I'm surprised he didn't also delete his avatar. My recollection of the pics he posted was similar to some of the comments, that he did a nice job, even though some may have taken a different approach. I think we can conclude that he's not a purist!

And it is somewhat offensive that he deleted all his posts, given that a few people here generously spent some time trying to give him good advice based on their considerable experience and knowledge - which he always had the option to (graciously) accept or not.

As for restorations, I personally prefer them to be to restore to original/museum quality, and reasonable patina adds to the character - they are old items, after all. However, I'm also accepting when very damaged items are restored in order to be used and enjoyed, which may require adaptations and modern technology, and might deviate from how the item was originally. I will add that I hate that occurring on something which is very rare in it's original condition, or was in very good original condition at the time of "restoration".

And for anyone wanting to see his deleted pics, look at his website: https://www.truerestorationsandmore.com/
The floral horn is featured on his homepage, and the "pictures" tab has other pics.